Cross Hatching Garden

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
image.jpeg
When I first started this garden my idea from an artistic point of view, having plants that signify different methods of cross hatching.....straight lines, squiggly lines (not artistic terminology), angular lines and shapes, gentle, soft curvy lines and shapes. Still a work in progress, I intend adding a couple of English Box balls, maybe a cone or two. I think my original inspiration was from my Crazy Filbert or "Something or Rather" Contortus which is in the back left hand corner. In front left corner the Acacia Fettuccini will grow to about a meter with its twisted foliage. Trying to think of something cylindrical in shape if anyone has any ideas please. Just as a footnote I think I'll have to give up on the top step pot plant or remember to water it more often.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
You surely have an eye for artistry with your plants. The description you gave is a sign of your artistic inclination with the cross hatching - I really do not know what this is all about. But I have learned a lot from this thread because I am getting the idea of how to mix not only the colors but also the shapes of the plants. So maybe this Christmas, I can do some decoration that would involve our plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh it looks marvelous and I think you've successfully did a fantastic job with mix and match plants.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your garden looks great just as it is very interesting to look at with the different shapes. Maybe put a plant that does not need to be watered often on the top step like a succulent.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Your garden looks great just as it is very interesting to look at with the different shapes. Maybe put a plant that does not need to be watered often on the top step like a succulent.
Ooh Pat. I don't think I could do that unless I changed them all......I'm a bit of a coordinating freak!!! I did at one time have some succulents which were low growing and seemed to get covered in leaves and didn't make an impact. Actually I will do exactly what you suggest once the annuals have made their departure but this time I'll use some cuttings from my garden of slightly taller ones Thanks Pat....I'm all excited now

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
You surely have an eye for artistry with your plants. The description you gave is a sign of your artistic inclination with the cross hatching - I really do not know what this is all about. But I have learned a lot from this thread because I am getting the idea of how to mix not only the colors but also the shapes of the plants. So maybe this Christmas, I can do some decoration that would involve our plants.
You'll enjoy "decorating" with plants Corzhens I'm sure. As with gardening though you can have the ideas and it doesn't usually go to plan. The plants have a mind of their own which I respect so you just have to go with it. Good fun

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Oh it looks marvelous and I think you've successfully did a fantastic job with mix and match plants.
Thanks IcyBC, as with all gardening projects it's very absorbing, always looking for new ideas. Today I went to a nursery which had 1/2 price topiary plants so I have purchased a "ball on a stick" and a cone for it. I'm still working out which is the best spot for them in this garden.:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks IcyBC, as with all gardening projects it's very absorbing, always looking for new ideas. Today I went to a nursery which had 1/2 price topiary plants so I have purchased a "ball on a stick" and a cone for it. I'm still working out which is the best spot for them in this garden.:D

Sounds wonderful and I have always adore topiary plants but since living in the North pole :)mad: ) I can't have any of that manicured plant. Love the idea of having "ball on a stick" kind of things. They are very attractive looking.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Are you really in the North Pole IcyBC. Now looking at your name is that the icy bit?:confused:...trying to do a chilly face :LOL:. It must take quite a bit of know how to have any garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
You'll enjoy "decorating" with plants Corzhens I'm sure. As with gardening though you can have the ideas and it doesn't usually go to plan. The plants have a mind of their own which I respect so you just have to go with it. Good fun

I once had tried my hand in creating a rock garden. Yes, it was fun as you said but hard work. The rock garden did not prosper though because it needed constant attention which I couldn't provide due to my busy work schedule in the office although our housemaid was the one tending to that. And when that housemaid left us, that's it for the rock garden. Maybe I would try again early next year when we get another housemaid.

Ask a Question