28 March 2017 Brussels Sprouts Seedlings. (Jade Cross)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
28 March 2017 Brussels Sprouts Seedlings. (Jade Cross)
Posted on March 28, 2017 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2017/March 2017/28 March 2017 Brussels Sprouts Seedlings./HTML/ 28 March 2017 Brussels Sprouts Seedlings.
Six Jade Cross Brussels sprouts were started under LED lights in a 23 liter pail with a small fan for some air movement. When the plants are established they will be housed in the greenhouse until planting time outdoors about the middle of May. They are slightly cold tolerant.The lamp setup is ideal for a small quantity of plants. Six plants are my requirements. Jade Cross is a hybrid and produces a perfect plant of sprouts. The seeds were germinated under a wet paper and sprouted in three days.
dsc_5965_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I use a deep pot, usually about a foot, 30cm as a "nursery bed".
I don't usually have any problem with brassica germination, and I leave them in that pot until the four leaf stage.
I then carefully turn out the whole pot, when transplanting, loosening at the sides and putting my left hand on top, between plants, and tipping the lot out, as you would when repotting a tomato.
Turn the lot, so the plants are on top as it falls to the ground, and when it bursts open, I tease out the individual plants.
My wife and I both love sprouts, so I grow about 20-25 plants of the tall variety, "Montgomery F1" which we harvest over a few months, blanching & freezing the immediate surplus for later use.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QOEUO 1 November 2013 Brussels Sprouts.
Two plants of Brussels sprouts (Jade Cross) were collected. Each plant produced two pounds of sprouts. There were eight plants originally but the rabbits ate them off when young. Brussels sprouts grow well in my area but few people like them and I can’t even give them away. With a bit of care they can be grown perfectly. Spraying is necessary to discourage the white butterfly, and the lower leaves should be pulled so they don’t touch the ground. They should be staked to prevent the stalk from bending. I start them as early as possible in the Spring and they grow well into frost. Frost doesn’t affect the sprouts in spite of the old wives tale to the contrary.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?DRUXI 5 November 2011 Brussels Sprouts (Jade Cross)Juicing.

Twelve Brussels Sprouts (Jade Cross)are usually planted each year and often they are not used. This year juice was made out of some. A total weight of six pounds were processed. Some celery and parsley was added for flavour.

Method. Remove from stalk and cull, Place in a suitable pot, cover with water and boil gently until soft, then beat into a mash using a hand blender. Strain through the hand strainer. The residue from the hand strainer was put through my Champion juicer to extract maximum nutrients. The extracted juice was placed in litre jars and Pressure Canned at 12 PSI for 15 minutes for storage at room temperature.

The sprouts were not pristine this year due to my neglect in not watering at the appropriate time. July was droughty and I concentrated on higher priority plants with the watering. I have grown perfect large sprouts in the past. They grow well in my area.

1%20november%202013%20brussels%20sprouts.%20011_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
There is never a shortage of brassicas. I often pick the Brussels from the bottom of the plant during the growing season for a current meal. Few cabbages are grown, since four or so is all I can use, I always have plenty of collards.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
There is never a shortage of brassicas. I often pick the Brussels from the bottom of the plant during the growing season for a current meal. Few cabbages are grown, since four or so is all I can use, I always have plenty of collards.
It may be useful info for others, with less space, who read this.

I, too, pick from the bottom of the plants, as, by the time the sprouts at the top are ready, it is often the case that the ones at the bottom have "blown".

Ask a Question