$$$ Cover Crop Seed $$$

Reaction score
Country
United States
Per thoughtful help and recommendation on this forum, I've decided to plant a cover crop.
I've never done that. I have a small garden but I want to maximize its potential in every
way I can and the idea of “green manure” has intrigued me. It can't hurt to try!

The problem is this. I was kindly sent links to Amazon
for 5 pound bags of three types of cover crop. The total came to $78.47.

I'm covering a grand total of 64 square feet so I'm thinking 5 pounds per seed type
is overkill. Surely there are seed providers that recognize not everyone gardens in acreage.
I don't want to spend much more than I legitimately need and will use.

And while I'm at it, what is your experience with cover crops?

P.S. Math is not my forte!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
My goodness...its called shopping. You can buy as little as 8-gram packets of seed running about $5 each that cover 4x8 beds...for each of those three all on Amazon. Just look up what you want/need.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My goodness...its called shopping. You can buy as little as 8-gram packets of seed running about $5 each that cover 4x8 beds...for each of those three all on Amazon. Just look up what you want/need.
I am shopping. And I know how to use a search bar.

I'm shopping specifically for “Outsidepride” clovers. There's a plethora of clovers, but few “Outsidepride”.

I did find Outsidepride White Dutch Clover, ¼ pound, which I have in a cart.

I'm looking for the specific brands you named, and only those at this point, because I assume you named specific brands for good reason.

After considerable searching – shopping – I found a pound of something called Seedranch Wrens Abruzzi Winter Rye for a price I'm willing to part with, if I wanted to wait two weeks to get it, which I didn't.

Actually, I just found Elbon Rye on eBay! One pound for $9.50. I don't need a pound, but that's been hard to find, and at least it's not 25 pounds.

Being unfamiliar with seed companies in general, I posted this thread in case someone else has a garden the size of a postage stamp and knows of a seed company that makes an attempt to accommodate small kitchen gardens.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You can buy a lot of good stuff in the grocery store that is in bags and cheap because it's used for cooking. I sprout a lot of it just to eat the sprouts. Another member on here buys popcorn and sprouts it to juice it. All that stuff will sprout and could be used as a cover crop if you just want to go with what's easily available and dirt cheap.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
See below.... I doubt there is anything smaller than 6-8 gm packages for sale anywhere (that is less then .02 lbs.) .... those costs almost as much as one or more pounds when it is shipped. Remember you want a dense stand of plants to be effective.

You might try your local feed store and ask if they would sell you less than a handful of seeds from their bulk sacks of seed.

Crimson clover 8 gm: Amazon.com : Sow Right Seeds - Crimson Clover Seed for Planting - Cover Crops to Plant in Your Home Garden - Nitrogen Fixer - Clover Seeds Ground Cover - Non-GMO Heirloom Seeds - Gardening Gift : Patio, Lawn & Garden

White clover 6 gm : Amazon.com : Sow Right Seeds - White Dutch Clover Seed for Planting - Cover Crops to Plant in Your Home Garden - Nitrogen Fixer - Suppress Weeds - Attracts Pollinators - Non-GMO Heirloom Seeds - Gardening Gift : Patio, Lawn & Garden

By the way, I have excess Elbon rye seed and if you will send me a self-addressed stamped envelope I will send you a generous hand-full of seed to help you get started. Send me a private message if interested.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can buy a lot of good stuff in the grocery store that is in bags and cheap because it's used for cooking. I sprout a lot of it just to eat the sprouts. Another member on here buys popcorn and sprouts it to juice it. All that stuff will sprout and could be used as a cover crop if you just want to go with what's easily available and dirt cheap.
Maybe I'm not understanding you. Are you talking about microgreens? I actually have a ton of microgreen seeds in my refrigerator.
But I'm determined to follow Meadowlark's initial post on cover crops right down to the specific brands she first mentioned, because
I heard enough conviction and passion to convince me to try it.

I did not know you could sprout popcorn kernels!

Reaction score
Country
United States
By the way, I have excess Elbon rye seed and if you will send me a self-addressed stamped envelope I will send you a generous hand-full of seed to help you get started. Send me a private message if interested.
Well, for pity's sake. That's an above and beyond offer! Thank you for your kindness, but I've ordered 1/4 pound of Outsidepride White Dutch Clover and 1/4 pound of Outsidepride Crimson Clover and 1 pound of Elbon Rye. Just a "little" overkill on the rye, as opposed to
a lot of overkill. I don't mind a little overkill, and I can't wait to try it.

So I just sprinkle these three on top of bare soil and mist it good. That's it!? No digging, raking, or anything? Thanks again for your offer, Meadowlark!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Cover crops are permanent and 'green manure' crops are dug in at the end of season. I have done a successful 'green manure' crop of mustard. I bought a package of seed for $5 - but this is half a world away.
If you want to leave the cover crop in and plant between - white clover would be the best. I have never done that but look up 'regen. ag.' on uTube - a lot of farmers are doing it.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
So I just sprinkle these three on top of bare soil and mist it good. That's it!? No digging, raking, or anything? Thanks again for your offer, Meadowlark!
Yep, that's it. Make sure it is watered in... mist sounds a bit light. :cool:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cover crops are permanent and 'green manure' crops are dug in at the end of season. I have done a successful 'green manure' crop of mustard. I bought a package of seed for $5 - but this is half a world away.
If you want to leave the cover crop in and plant between - white clover would be the best. I have never done that but look up 'regen. ag.' on uTube - a lot of farmers are doing it.
Hi. My understanding is that it's a cover crop until you dig it in a few weeks prior to planting your veggies. Then it becomes "green manure". I'm not sure why anyone would want a permanent cover crop in a garden, but I'm putting your reference in my garden
journal on my ever-growing "stuff I don't know" list.

So what made your green manure of mustard successful? What difference did you see? I was hoping for more comments on
cover crops/green manure from those with personal experience.

Thanks for your input. Kinda cool to talk to someone half a world away. :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Maybe I'm not understanding you. Are you talking about microgreens? I actually have a ton of microgreen seeds in my refrigerator.
But I'm determined to follow Meadowlark's initial post on cover crops right down to the specific brands she first mentioned, because
I heard enough conviction and passion to convince me to try it.

I did not know you could sprout popcorn kernels!

I am referring to basically anything you can buy in the grocery store, like the bags of kidney beans, lima beans, navy beans, barley, chia, etc etc etc that people use to put in soup, bread etc. They all sprout and will grow but you get pounds of it from the grocery store for the same price as a tiny pack of seeds at a garden store.

But I 100% agree you should go with what Meadowlark's advice was. I was only refering to other options because it sounded like you had given up on ordering it in bulk.

With that said I am curious. @Meadowlark what is the difference between red and white clover? Aside from size but I mean as a cover crop?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...With that said I am curious. @Meadowlark what is the difference between red and white clover? Aside from size but I mean as a cover crop?
White clover spreads laterally and is shorter than Red clover which grows upright and taller. They make a good combo for weed control giving great coverage. I've always felt white clover does a better job at nitrogen fixing, but that may be just my own feelings. Where it grows in my yard it is always very green there after the clover is gone.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
White clover spreads laterally and is shorter than Red clover which grows upright and taller. They make a good combo for weed control giving great coverage. I've always felt white clover does a better job at nitrogen fixing, but that may be just my own feelings. Where it grows in my yard it is always very green there after the clover is gone.

I was reading the white clover is mostly used for lawns. I went with the Crimson partly because it's gorgeous lol, but mostly because it grows fast and can handle the cold well. I figure if I toss some in now it will grow enough to do some good by the time frost comes. Then next spring I'll grow a bunch in the sections of the garden I won't be using. I do have white clover and pink clover growing here and there already but that crimson stuff apparently can hit over 3' so that will be interesting to see.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I use hairy vetch as a cover crop for my tomato plantings the next season in 4x8 beds. It's an excellent nitrogen fixer. I sow it in late summer, it overwinters extremely well and in early June it is just starting to flower so I terminate it then and plant my tomatoes while disturbing the bed as little as possible. Then I replace all that plant matter as a mulch which breaks down and adds more nitrogen. I haven't had to add any other N to the bed since I started using it. I get it at a local seed and feed store for $4/lb and 5lbs is way more than I need for 3 beds. Here's a pic from this summer just before planting and also a link to a great article on using it with tomato crops in particular. https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/12650400/WebsiteCharacteristicsofHairyVetch.pdf

Attachments

• Vetch.JPG
    Vetch.JPG
    288.3 KB · Views: 11

Ask a Question