Cover crop

Reaction score
Country
United States
First post! Hey I let my garden rest this year, but last fall I planted winter rye and red clover in it and now have a thick crop of red clover,should I mow it and till it in this fall or wait till spring?
Thanks

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
When do you intend to plant a crop(s) in your garden? Next spring?

If next spring, I would mow (with a mulching mower) what you have soon, replant the winter rye (assuming it is probably gone by now...but if not proceed) over the crimson, and let it all ride until next spring and mow all it again (this time short) and then till it before planting. You should have an excellent plot ready to grow stuff.

To be sure, last thing I would do before planting next spring (and after it has been tilled and the cover assimilated into the garden soil) get a soil test to see exactly where you are.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Meadowlark . after I mow Just sow winter rye or do I need to till seeds in ground or just sow on top where I just mowed?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Can I assume that the winter rye is mostly gone, and the clover remains? That's what I was thinking above.

If correct, you can sow the winter rye right over the mowed clover without tilling. Sow any areas that are sparse most thickly for good weed control. It would probably be good to wait after mowing several days to sow the winter rye to get best soil contact.

Ask a Question