Experimental use of Alfalfa as a summer cover/rotational crop

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I’ve started an experiment in the use of summer alfalfa as a garden cover crop in East Texas. Alfalfa has been found to not like our East Texas climate of super heat and even more super humidity as a hay crop…but what about as a cover/rotational crop for the home garden?

It has outstanding N2 fixing qualities and grows vigorously in summer which should offer excellent weed control. I have long recognized that it is also an outstanding soil additive that serves as a natural fertilizer and soil conditioner. Alfalfa pellets are readily available in my feed stores and they have demonstrated to me to be an excellent soil builder, one of the best available.

So, why not the real thing? Alfalfa has an interesting “character” trait that I believe makes it an outstanding candidate for cover/rotation in the garden. Beginning in late summer, physiological changes begin to occur in alfalfa plants where sugar and carbohydrate accumulation is diverted away from stem and leaf growth and toward the root and crown structures of the plant. Sugars act as an “antifreeze” to prevent cell damage during the extreme cold temperatures of winter. Carbohydrates are stored in the roots and crown to provide energy for stem growth during the spring months.

Those stored sugars and carbs sound to me like an ideal summer cover/rotational soil building crop that can be planted after the spring plantings of garden veggies such as corn, a very heavy feeder.

My research has uncovered that alfalfa also has a possibly undesirable characteristic of suppressing other plant germination while it is growing. I’m hopeful this does not carry over to follow on veggie crops.

I would like to hear from anyone who has tried this as a summer cover/rotational crop.

Oneeye are you out there?

The attached photo shows my experimental double row of germinating alfalfa in the garden. Another advantage is that seed is highly available and is relatively cheap about $2 per pound when purchased as a hay crop. Since COVID, I have found that anything for the garden, including my preferred field peas for cover, has taken off in price and has limited availability these days…but not alfalfa seed for hay production.

Comments appreciated and solicited.

alkalfa germinating.JPG

Attachments

• alfalfa.JPG
    alfalfa.JPG
    377.3 KB · Views: 162
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I tried over crops. Found season too short and it often froze to nothing after growing. One years it survived and I found difficult to get rid of for conventional growing.

The other choice was to summer fallow and only sow over crop but my efforts were too small to get any real advantage from this process.

The idea has some merit if the climate is suitable. I find in my small operation, compost and mulch seem to be suitable for now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's amazing to me that alfalfa roots may penetrate over 20 feet deep. Having roots that deep gives alfalfa excellent drought tolerance. Super plant.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It's amazing to me that alfalfa roots may penetrate over 20 feet deep. Having roots that deep gives alfalfa excellent drought tolerance. Super plant.

How do you think it will do as a summer cover/rotation crop in my garden? You've seen my soil and seen how I use cover crops...interested in what you think?

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
You might find this an interesting read

Yes, interesting. Thanks.

My county , Polk, wasn't mentioned that I could see but two adjoining counties Trinity and Nacogdoches were listed as a negative for Alfalfa. I think I'm going to contact the author of that report and ask some questions. I have an outstanding hay meadow in bottom land of about 20 acres that I would be willing to take a try at a hay crop, if the soil experts would say it would work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Meadowlark, my experience with alfalfa is that its rather invasive. Almost as bad as chickweed.

Id recommend trying it in a separate dedicated plot to see how it reacts in your warmer weather. It doesn't get hot enough here to really stunt it. Ifnothing else you can harvest and compost it separately from your main garden.

Just noticed that you do have a separate plot planned. Maybe try growing something in with the alfalfa to see if it does or doesn't stunt the vegetable?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Meadowlark, my experience with alfalfa is that its rather invasive. Almost as bad as chickweed.

Id recommend trying it in a separate dedicated plot to see how it reacts in your warmer weather. It doesn't get hot enough here to really stunt it. Ifnothing else you can harvest and compost it separately from your main garden.

Just noticed that you do have a separate plot planned. Maybe try growing something in with the alfalfa to see if it does or doesn't stunt the vegetable?

That's a good idea...I'll put a few field pea seeds in with the alfalfa. Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I’ve started an experiment in the use of summer alfalfa as a garden cover crop in East Texas. Alfalfa has been found to not like our East Texas climate of super heat and even more super humidity as a hay crop…but what about as a cover/rotational crop for the home garden?

It has outstanding N2 fixing qualities and grows vigorously in summer which should offer excellent weed control. I have long recognized that it is also an outstanding soil additive that serves as a natural fertilizer and soil conditioner. Alfalfa pellets are readily available in my feed stores and they have demonstrated to me to be an excellent soil builder, one of the best available.

So, why not the real thing? Alfalfa has an interesting “character” trait that I believe makes it an outstanding candidate for cover/rotation in the garden. Beginning in late summer, physiological changes begin to occur in alfalfa plants where sugar and carbohydrate accumulation is diverted away from stem and leaf growth and toward the root and crown structures of the plant. Sugars act as an “antifreeze” to prevent cell damage during the extreme cold temperatures of winter. Carbohydrates are stored in the roots and crown to provide energy for stem growth during the spring months.

Those stored sugars and carbs sound to me like an ideal summer cover/rotational soil building crop that can be planted after the spring plantings of garden veggies such as corn, a very heavy feeder.

My research has uncovered that alfalfa also has a possibly undesirable characteristic of suppressing other plant germination while it is growing. I’m hopeful this does not carry over to follow on veggie crops.

I would like to hear from anyone who has tried this as a summer cover/rotational crop.

Oneeye are you out there?

The attached photo shows my experimental double row of germinating alfalfa in the garden. Another advantage is that seed is highly available and is relatively cheap about $2 per pound when purchased as a hay crop. Since COVID, I have found that anything for the garden, including my preferred field peas for cover, has taken off in price and has limited availability these days…but not alfalfa seed for hay production.

Comments appreciated and solicited.

View attachment 67153
Appears to be poor soil. Anything has ot be an improvement IMO

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
To test germination restriction from the alfalfa, I planted a few peas in my "poor soil" (LOL @ Durgan) in area with alfalfa and at the same time in another area without alfalfa seeds. There was no discernable difference between germination with or without alfalfa. I'll let these plants go awhile to see if their growth is affected by the alfalfa.

I will test germination again later when the alfalfa matures some to see if the germination restriction develops, but so far so good.

The plot without alfalfa.

germination test 1.JPG

The plot with alfalfa...planted with same type of pea seeds at same time:

germonation test 1a.JPG

Pea Germination in both plots happened within 48 hours.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Tomatoes are in the row right next to the experimental alfalfa row. Tomato production is "off the charts" …but the alfalfa hasn't had time to have any appreciable effect. It's just poor soil, LOL. We are over run with tomatoes two buckets a day.

tomatoes rain.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, interesting. Thanks.

My county , Polk, wasn't mentioned that I could see but two adjoining counties Trinity and Nacogdoches were listed as a negative for Alfalfa. I think I'm going to contact the author of that report and ask some questions. I have an outstanding hay meadow in bottom land of about 20 acres that I would be willing to take a try at a hay crop, if the soil experts would say it would work.
My dad had some farm land close to Bartlett Tx and he tried to grow alfalfa. IIRC he had 1 successful crop and from then on the alfalfa just wouldn't grow for some reason. This was back in the 1950's. The soil there is slightly alkaline.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
On the other side of the experimental alfalfa row is my third planting of corn which is now about 8 ft tall which is very tall for sweet corn. I'll closely monitor it to see if alfalfa proximity has any discernable effect.

IMG_0545.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
My dad had some farm land close to Bartlett Tx and he tried to grow alfalfa. IIRC he had 1 successful crop and from then on the alfalfa just wouldn't grow for some reason. This was back in the 1950's. The soil there is slightly alkaline.

I have heard similar experience in my county but with acidic soils. Maybe the alfalfa takes up all of some needed nutrient in one growing season? You would think that TAMU would have done some experiments considering the economic value of alfalfa.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Update, nearing the end of July. The experiment continues and has expanded somewhat with additional plantings in the rows previously occupied by corn, a very heavy feeder.

My observations thus far: Despite what I thought was a fairly heavy seeding, the alfalfa has not shown the ability to protect against weeds...in fact the contrary. In comparison to field peas which I started at the same time, weeds are very prominent in the alfalfa and chocked out in the peas. Other considerations, of course, come into play such as N2 fixation and soil building but so far the alfalfa is not showing the ability to out compete.

alfalfa jul.JPG

alfalfa ju2.JPG

Compare to field peas started about the same time:

fall onions.JPG

Ask a Question