Long term cover crops?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm getting very far behind on household chores and repairs and I've come to the conclusion that the garden takes up too much time in the summer. I'm thinking about not doing one next year so I can free up time for a couple projects.

I could let it go fallow but I don't want to lose it to weeds and whatnot. So, some sort of cover crop that's low to no maintenance and would grow from last frost to first or longer is what I'm after. Preferably something edible but doesn't have to be and something easily chopped and tilled for the next season.

Right now I'm thinking about cabbage and turnips for their leafyness and allellopathy to weeds, possibly beets. Beans of some sort come to mind as well.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Agree on turnips...daikon radish has similar properties.

Have you ever grown sweet potatoes? They grow spreading vines all summer, take very little care, and although I haven't used them for cover, seems to me they would be excellent for that, but as far as I know don't have allelopathic properties. They really grow thick and choke out any weeds.

Buckwheat might be a good choice for your location. Very thick vegetation, allelopathic, soil builder. Cereal grains are good.

I use a lot of soybeans and cow peas all summer.... both are legumes but they do mature and need to be shredded to regenerate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
To be clear, I'm not planning on harvesting anything next summer, but something will of course be picked if there's time and energy.

Soybeans might be a possibility. But if we do it's not something we want to regenerate. Or more precisely, is it something that might become invasive? How often would they need mowed?

Sweet potatoes aren't something we eat much. I had thought about regular potatoes but didn't think the greens would get dense enough. How do the 2 compare?

Regarding buckwheat, is that something that might become invasive? In other words, if I mow and till the following spring is it something that I'm going to have to constantly pull out?

I'm a little paranoid about introducing something I can't get rid of. It seems we've finally turned the corner on the chickweed that came via manure.

Fwiw, I intend to do the entire garden, including footpaths.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Well, sorry, it sounds like I'm unable to help you with something that fully meets your criteria.

To be clear, I'm not planning on harvesting anything next summer, but something will of course be picked if there's time and energy.

Soybeans might be a possibility. But if we do it's not something we want to regenerate. Or more precisely, is it something that might become invasive? How often would they need mowed?
Soybeans mature in 2 + months...you stated "grow from last frost to first or longer is what I'm after"... obviously to exist from last frost to first frost, regeneration is required. In your area, you are looking for cover May, June, July, August, Sept, and part of Oct., right? Beans, soybeans, cow peas, etc. are not realistic for that time period without regeneration.

Sweet potatoes aren't something we eat much. I had thought about regular potatoes but didn't think the greens would get dense enough. How do the 2 compare?

This is confusing "To be clear, I'm not planning on harvesting anything next summer" followed by "sweet potatoes aren't something we eat".:unsure:

The reason I suggested sweet potatoes as an option to consider was 1) they will grow and flourish May, June, July, Aug, Sept., Oct. Last frost to first frost which meets your criteria. You can eat them or not, does it matter? They grow thick vines which choke out weeds...something else you were after. They require no maintenance...something else you were after. They are not invasive...although it would probably be a good idea to dig them up after first frost to prevent any residual next spring.

No, they are not at all like potatoes which fail to meet your criteria completely.

Regarding buckwheat, is that something that might become invasive? In other words, if I mow and till the following spring is it something that I'm going to have to constantly pull out?

I'm a little paranoid about introducing something I can't get rid of. It seems we've finally turned the corner on the chickweed that came via manure.
Buckwheat is not considered invasive...but it will go to seed in about 12 weeks if you do nothing and can come back from the seed the following spring. So, rule it out unless you are planning to mow it before seed maturity and reseed, regenerate it at least once during the summer.

Fwiw, I intend to do the entire garden, including footpaths.

I tried...maybe someone else can help you.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Have you got a mower? Do you have to irrigate in summer?
If you can get them started before the rain stops - barley, lucerne and buckwheat will probably suppress weeds - but you will have to mow them down or harvest by hand at the end of summer.
All of the standard summer crops need irrigation and attention.
Ever thought of fencing for livestock?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, sorry, it sounds like I'm unable to help you with something that fully meets your criteria.

I'm exploring options and have questions about what's being recommended that's all.
Soybeans mature in 2 + months...you stated "grow from last frost to first or longer is what I'm after"... obviously to exist from last frost to first frost, regeneration is required. In your area, you are looking for cover May, June, July, August, Sept, and part of Oct., right? Beans, soybeans, cow peas, etc. are not realistic for that time period without regeneration.
I guess I'm a little confused by regeneration. Do you mean replanting reseeding? Or is this mow it down and let it come back?

And correct on the time frame.
This is confusing "To be clear, I'm not planning on harvesting anything next summer" followed by "sweet potatoes aren't something we eat".:unsure:
2 statements on 2 different topics. Daily or weekly picking of crops, weekly weeding are the major time consumer here. A fall harvest is rather likely. Hence my original list of slow growing leafy things.

sweet potatoes sound like they would fit the bill there, but we don't eat much of them. They would likely just get mowed and tilled. Scratch that, they grow from cuttings and need removed.
The reason I suggested sweet potatoes as an option to consider was 1) they will grow and flourish May, June, July, Aug, Sept., Oct. Last frost to first frost which meets your criteria. You can eat them or not, does it matter? They grow thick vines which choke out weeds...something else you were after. They require no maintenance...something else you were after. They are not invasive...although it would probably be a good idea to dig them up after first frost to prevent any residual next spring.
Again, sounds like a good fit but, removing the tubers removes nutrients from the soil. How would one go about putting those nutrients back without the tubers regrowing? I suppose we could chunk them and bake them then toss them back in the garden.
No, they are not at all like potatoes which fail to meet your criteria completely.

Buckwheat is not considered invasive...but it will go to seed in about 12 weeks if you do nothing and can come back from the seed the following spring. So, rule it out unless you are planning to mow it before seed maturity and reseed, regenerate it at least once during the summer.

Running the mower through once a month is probably doable. And again on clarification of regenerate.
I tried...maybe someone else can help you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Have you got a mower? Do you have to irrigate in summer?

Aas noted above, a monthly mowing is feasible. Irrigation is hit and miss, sometimes we have to water up to 2x week though since I've installed soaker hoses a couple years ago we've not really needed it. Go figure.
If you can get them started before the rain stops - barley, lucerne and buckwheat will probably suppress weeds - but you will have to mow them down or harvest by hand at the end of summer.
All of the standard summer crops need irrigation and attention.
Ever thought of fencing for livestock?
Livestock? We have 3 dogs a cat a son and his friends. We don't need anymore animals to take care of 🤣

Our plots are fenced to keep the dogs out and are probably too small for anything other than 1 goat each. And what do we do with the goat in the fall?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What about sunflowers? I have them randomly pop up in my garden and I don't water them or anything, they do fine in a drought.The birds and other things eat most of the seeds so they never become invasive. They would probably control the weeds if you planted the small ones really thick together then use a weed eater or a machete to cut them down before tilling them in. If becoming invasive is a concern you could cut the heads off before the seeds fully develop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The wife would love sunflowers but are they really considered a cover crop?

In my mind anyway a cover crop is something that shades the ground to prevent other things growing. Generally short leafy things which doesn't exactly describe sunflowers. IDK

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The wife would love sunflowers but are they really considered a cover crop?

In my mind anyway a cover crop is something that shades the ground to prevent other things growing. Generally short leafy things which doesn't exactly describe sunflowers. IDK

I don't know, I never tried but I imagine they would do a good job of blocking out any sunlight under them if grown thick together. I am thinking more those small ones with multiple heads rather then the giant Russian ones with a single head.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I grow a lot of sunflowers every year as an insect trap crop. The giant variety reaches maturity in about 80 days and it dies here leaving a huge very course woody stalk. It would be difficult to mow that stalk without a tractor shredder.

You would need to replant at least once during your summer. Sunflowers are allelopathic and discourage weed growth around them and that's a plus. They are also a nitrogen fixing plant and that also is a plus for a cover crop. To be effective alone, they would need to be seeded very thickly. Might be worth a try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Now that's interesting. As for mowing the stalks, I have a DR brush mower, a field of sunflowers can be turned into mulch fairly quickly.

We have sunflower seeds that didn’t get planted this year, might be worth doing some. Bonus is that momma will take care of them leaving me free for other projects.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As a follow-up, last week a friend was over and we were discussing what to do with the garden. He pointed out that there's already plenty of seeds in my soil and that the garden might not actually go fallow. Wild yes but maybe not weed infested.

Indeed, there's spinach and tomatoes popping up currently plus dill and cilantro. A fair amount of things we've planted are considered cool weather crops that are likely to sprout in spring, and mostly leafy.

This also brings an opportunity to add in amendments and give them time to work into the soil. I'll have to get some soil tests done but no big deal. And I'll still have normal yard maintenance so grass clippings and leaves can get tossed in and allowed to compost.

One thought momma had was to tarp the garden, solarizing it basically. But, my understanding is that's not a long term technique. And I imagine it's not good for bug life in the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
As a follow-up, last week a friend was over and we were discussing what to do with the garden. He pointed out that there's already plenty of seeds in my soil and that the garden might not actually go fallow. Wild yes but maybe not weed infested.

Indeed, there's spinach and tomatoes popping up currently plus dill and cilantro. A fair amount of things we've planted are considered cool weather crops that are likely to sprout in spring, and mostly leafy.

This also brings an opportunity to add in amendments and give them time to work into the soil. I'll have to get some soil tests done but no big deal. And I'll still have normal yard maintenance so grass clippings and leaves can get tossed in and allowed to compost.

One thought momma had was to tarp the garden, solarizing it basically. But, my understanding is that's not a long term technique. And I imagine it's not good for bug life in the soil.
I dont know why but when I do tarp of a bed. The worms seem to love it. when you untarp in Spring crazy amount of them

Ask a Question