How do long term floods afect gardens?

Reaction score
Luckily I've been fortunate enough to avoid flooding over winter, but what happens to those who are affected? Assuming is clears by spring is there any long term damage done to the gardens? I wasn't sure weather it was affect delicate soil Ph specialized for growing certain crops.

Reaction score
Well, I do know that the nitrogen breaks down and pretty much disappears, and so it is necessary to fertilize. And, some areas near where I live got almost a foot of sand deposited on them when the nearby river flooded, and plants grow very badly in pure sand.

Reaction score
Indeed many coastal areas have had sand cover the fields. How do farmers deal with clearing the sand? I assume it must be quite a difficult task as some of it will have filtered through quite deep into the topsoil.

Reaction score
Our sand would be from a river, so there is no problem with salt.

I have HEARD of farmers having the sand scraped off, and I have heard of farmers plowing thinner layers of sand under. I honestly have no idea of the details, though.

Reaction score
Luckily I've been fortunate enough to avoid flooding over winter, but what happens to those who are affected? Assuming is clears by spring is there any long term damage done to the gardens? I wasn't sure weather it was affect delicate soil Ph specialized for growing certain crops.

It has been the nail in the coffin of my asparagus patch for sure. Our land lays on a slope in the Irish wetlands, so we are now just seeing the benefits of cutting drains on the pasture. Still some pockets but we don't suffer like most even round here. When it rains my neighbors land gets wrecked.

Reaction score
Unfortunately I live in an area where we experience severe flooding every winter and although we all do everything we can to avoid as much damage to our gardens as possible - obviously the loss of soil is one of the biggest problems and is something that has to be replaced yearly as well as the inevitable - of many plants and trees being damaged as well as lost - due to the force of the water that comes down the mountainside.
I'm not sure to be honest - exactly what the long term effects of flooding would be - apart from the erosion factor and the loss of many plants and sometimes parts of my garden :(

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would think the largest problem would be soil erosion I am sure I am wrong. I did not think about the sand and slug being dumped on the soil and the condition this can leave the soil in, it would be a real problem if there was a lot of oil in the slug.

Ask a Question