Coronavirus, it is all over the news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
Spain
A National Health Service gives two obvious advantages, in that any person who suspects they are ill, can walk into any hospital and get some sort of treatment, free of charge, without showing a passport etc.
Also there is a central awareness of the national position, since the service is comprehensive, and statistics can be produced to understand the nationwide progress of the virus.
As far as I am aware, neither of these advantages are found in the USA, and there is a huge number of ¨illegal¨ workers who dare not fail to turn up for work, or go near a hospital.
While wishing America the very best of good fortune, I can´t help wondering if this virus will find the USA an easier target than countries which offer their people a proper health service.
Time will tell.
I do hope that, as it often does, good will come out of bad. Bankruptcy should never follow illness.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Proper health service? Having spent the last 20 years of my life working in the US medical system, both private and military I can tell you for a fact that no one no where has a better health system then the US.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes we in the US do have cutting edge medicine available, BUT unless you are rich or have fantastic insurance, you are usually out of luck when it comes to catastrophic illness.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Again having spent my life working in the US medical system,...there are set up to help the indigent. Medicare/medicaid Some charity medical systems. I also know all private medical system write off some medical care. Is it easier if you have fantastic health insurance yes. Before this idiotic ACA when more people had insurance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The level of care is different for the less wealthy. They are less likely to get quality care. I have seen it in my own family since we are on Medicare. My insurance when I was able to work was MUCH better and provided better care.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Private medical insurance ain't that good in the UK. Despite paying in thousands over many years, you could need an operation and the the insurers won't pay the full cost of it, as they have a set figure for every operation required, So you could still have to find more money.

"What are the chances of that happening?

Reaction score
Country
Spain
From https://www.nursinghelpline24.com/

Sacramento County includes the University of California, Davis Medical Center, the facility that housed the first U.S. case of novel coronavirus infection through community spread. The patient was left undiagnosed for days because, according to the hospital, a request for testing wasn't granted on the grounds that the person didn't fit official criteria, which at the time included international travel. That criteria was quickly revised — but 36 nurses and a total of roughly 188 other workers at UC Davis Medical Center and another area hospital were sent into self-quarantine for 14 days.

If this is an example of the current efficiency, then no amount of whistling Dixie will beat the virus.
It´s a lot easier to have good hospital statistics if you don´t allow poor people in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That just happened here where I live. The patient didn’t meet the criteria when the doctors requested a test. I saw a report that there were only 2000 tests available for my state. That is far to few!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
lol, your trying to tell me that same thing is not going on across Spain. Think it is time to start whistling some Dixie.

Oh and NO poor person, any person is ever denied health care. It is against the law.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I wouldn´t dream of trying to tell you anything La Garden, I´m sharing information -- sorry if you find it uncomfortable.
We have problems in Spain also, does that make you feel better?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
lol, your trying to tell me that same thing is not going on across Spain. Think it is time to start whistling some Dixie.

Oh and NO poor person, any person is ever denied health care. It is against the law.
I am in Dixie. Literally. Pick a song and I will try to whistle it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Private medical insurance ain't that good in the UK. Despite paying in thousands over many years, you could need an operation and the the insurers won't pay the full cost of it, as they have a set figure for every operation required, So you could still have to find more money.

"What are the chances of that happening?

It's no different to America Sean. Medical insurance there doesn't pay the full amount of treatment either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question