Coronavirus, it is all over the news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

Dr. Anthony Fauci tells public to be prepared for coronavirus, but still 'do the things you always do'

,..The media is making one heck of a panic over this. While it is still early and could end up being that deadly bomb, the numbers have not matched a normal flu outbreak. Events are being closed down even a few quarantine areas. As it closes down supply line for international companies it will have an impact on everyone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
it will be harsh on the infirm and elderly and very young and those with health challenges. But I do not believe for our stateside peresence that is abnormal for many diseases.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Healthy people in their thirties and forties have died from the virus, though certainly the elderly will fare worse. The idea that a person can be transmitting the virus for a couple of weeks before realising they are ill, means that containing the outbreak could prove virtually impossible.

It´s Andalucia Day here, and the town square will be crowded with celebrants having a good time -- I might do a bit of gardening instead.
The virus reached Malaga, a hundred miles away, a couple of weeks ago it seems, so avoiding crowds where possible is an easy way of reducing the risk of infection.

Since there is no conceivable profit to be made from telling me the truth, I shall treat the broadcast media with my usual deep suspicion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The mortality rate is 2%-3% which is less than the common flu. What is the big deal about this? The only thing that comes to mind is political and we all know the agenda of the media whether it be to destroy a sitting president by their never ending yellow journalism or outright lies. They are hyping this disease to purposefully scare the population for their own agenda.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The one thing that bothers me most is that the vast majority of our pharmaceuticals are made in China. Any interruption in our supply of meds could be disastrous for the sick and elderly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The one thing that bothers me most is that the vast majority of our pharmaceuticals are made in China. Any interruption in our supply of meds could be disastrous for the sick and elderly.
I agree totally. Perhaps this Corona virus will be a wakeup call to Big Pharma. It isn't as if they don't have the money to produce their products here in the US.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
the numbers have not matched a normal flu outbreak.

There are people who overreact and underreact in situations like this. Both are wrong.

Three months of information is not enough to know just how bad this virus is going to be long-term, but at this point, we do know that it's contagious, and we do know that it's deadly. Honestly, I fully understand why the media is covering it so heavily.

The only thing that comes to mind is political and we all know the agenda of the media whether it be to destroy a sitting president by their never ending yellow journalism or outright lies.

Political nonsense can stay off the forum, please.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
As they say, "It's an ill wind."

For a few weeks my wife has refused having a delivered Chinese take-away on Thursdays. That's a saving of nearly thirty quid a week for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
As a reminder, this is a virus related to flu and not a disease. It is also infectious and not contagious.

The mortality rate is 2%-3% which is less than the common flu.

I agree with Chuck, at present the mortality rate from flu in the past has been greater than this virus. It doesn't help that the media are creating unnecessary panic. That said - my daughter is a driving instructor and one of her students cancelled three months of driving lessons because of the risk of catching it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The mortality rate is 2%-3% which is less than the common flu. What is the big deal about this? The only thing that comes to mind is political and we all know the agenda of the media whether it be to destroy a sitting president by their never ending yellow journalism or outright lies. They are hyping this disease to purposefully scare the population for their own agenda.
1% as a sizeable portion of infected do not show symptoms, is the latest I have heard.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
From my dictionary --

Strictly, a contagious disease is one transmitted by physical contact, whereas an infectious one is transmitted via microorganisms in the air or water. In practice there is little or no difference in meaning between contagious and infectious when applied to disease or its spread.

So I can see why infectious is more accurate, but I´m about to go for an hour´s Spanish/English conversation with a young student from Granada, and the customary greeting is a kiss on both cheeks -- a delightful habit which will undoubtably come under scrutiny before long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question