Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
From my dictionary --

Strictly, a contagious disease is one transmitted by physical contact, whereas an infectious one is transmitted via microorganisms in the air or water. In practice there is little or no difference in meaning between contagious and infectious when applied to disease or its spread.

So I can see why infectious is more accurate, but I´m about to go for an hour´s Spanish/English conversation with a young student from Granada, and the customary greeting is a kiss on both cheeks -- a delightful habit which will undoubtably come under scrutiny before long.

Bring some saran wrap!

Perhaps a handshake on this occasion would be better Giri.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Interesting comment Sheal, especially since handshakes between men are an important part of Spanish social etiquette, and the hands are perhaps the chief source of contagion.
Spain is a warm, friendly country -- families eat together, at home or in a bar, conversations are held at very close proximity often with one resting a hand on the other´s shoulder.
Entering the dentist´s waiting room requires a greeting to all present, there´s a saying that only a dog walks into a bar without greeting those inside -- so the general picture here is of a virus´s ideal playground.
What with one thing and another, it´s a good time to be living up a mountain ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Frankly speaking. I have noticed some lack of actions of men on occasion. Even in my office area. Heard once that the men's bathroom was without soap for a week. I hesitate often or avoid often to shake a man's hand. Actually it is within my rights etiquette wise to avoid that as the man needs to wait for the women to extend her hand. If I am in a situation where I can't get out of shaking a mans hand, after which I immediately wash my hands. I know darn well without a doubt that not all men wash their hands after peeing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting comment Sheal, especially since handshakes between men are an important part of Spanish social etiquette, and the hands are perhaps the chief source of contagion.

Sorry Giri, I'm not sure whether you're suggesting hand shaking isn't a good idea? Coronavirus is infectious so is airborne and not supposedly passed on by touch - contagious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sorry Giri, I'm not sure whether you're suggesting hand shaking isn't a good idea? Coronavirus is infectious so is airborne and not supposedly passed on by touch - contagious.
Airborne...nasty by being undetected for 40% of its customers. It has a bias of wanting to survive regardless of outcome. This is a strong response, because if you are a virus then killing your host kills yourself.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I hope you´re right Sheal, but I´ve heard warnings about doorhandles, handrails etc, which seem to imply that the airborne particles can survive on surfaces. The advice about hand washing appears to infer that contact with an infected surface can enter by the oral route.
I can see this all being lumped together as airborne, whether inhaled or passed hand to mouth, and quite different to something caught from contact with infected tissue.
However, I do find the information less than crystal clear, and welcome any clarification.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I hope you´re right Sheal, but I´ve heard warnings about doorhandles, handrails etc, which seem to imply that the airborne particles can survive on surfaces. The advice about hand washing appears to infer that contact with an infected surface can enter by the oral route.
I can see this all being lumped together as airborne, whether inhaled or passed hand to mouth, and quite different to something caught from contact with infected tissue.
However, I do find the information less than crystal clear, and welcome any clarification.
All metals are toxic. Product containing very toxic metals such as copper in a brass doorknob literally self clean themselves in an hour or two. I am currently waiting on the tests being conducted on cardboard and plastics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I had heard it can stay live on surfaces for days. Anyway, with handshaking in general you don't know what the other hand has touched. And you may touch your face with your hand. I am just careful, in general, not just with this recent virus but all viruses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Infectious to me means the virus has to be inhaled. So if someone is worried about picking it up from inanimate objects then it is down to the person to protect themselves through a hygiene routine. I have got into a routine when gardening not to touch my face until I'm finished and have washed my hands. The same can be applied with the virus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
This one sounds very bad, the news has consumed me. 3.3% global death rate is 30x worse than seasonal influenza at 0.1% typical fatalities. It is known to be in so many major cities that I assume it's everywhere. Nobody should panic but definitely wash hands often and avoid travel and public gatherings. Treat high risk people with care when you visit parents, etc.

Most will fight it off and recover, make sure your immune system is strong. Eat your fruits and veggies, and your flowers too. Get as much sunshine as you can for vitamin D. Enjoy life, don't weaken yourself with stress. Plant extra crops this year if you can.

That's what I'm trying to do. Along with quitting nailbiting, LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This one sounds very bad, the news has consumed me. 3.3% global death rate is 30x worse than seasonal influenza at 0.1% typical fatalities. It is known to be in so many major cities that I assume it's everywhere. Nobody should panic but definitely wash hands often and avoid travel and public gatherings. Treat high risk people with care when you visit parents, etc.

Most will fight it off and recover, make sure your immune system is strong. Eat your fruits and veggies, and your flowers too. Get as much sunshine as you can for vitamin D. Enjoy life, don't weaken yourself with stress. Plant extra crops this year if you can.

That's what I'm trying to do. Along with quitting nailbiting, LOL
I am reading that the butchers bill is not that high because so many sick are not even symptomatic. Not good news if you get it I know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Looks like it will be over soon. The Epicenters of China and South Korea reporting dramatic drops in new cases. Xi would not be visiting Wuhan if there was a chance he might get it.
I am sure the media in the states is still going to run it at panic levels as they have made it into a political issue.

The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) reported 35 new coronavirus cases, down from the peak of 909 on Feb. 29. The new data brought the national tally to 7,513, and the death toll rose by three to 54.

China's President Xi visits Wuhan as number of new coronavirus cases tumbles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
What annoys me is the panic buying generated by the newspapers, showing empty shelves last week.
The "paper crisis," appeared to be over yesterday, as Sainsbury's was back in stock of loo rolls and paper towels. But the "pasta crisis" is still with us, as there were some empty shelves. "'cos pasta comes from Italy dunnit?" Yes some of it does, but more from other countries and the UK.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A friend in China has offered to send me N95 masks. Here is a graph from cnbc on the result of Chinese disease management once they got started. It bodes well for our efforts.
106369525-1583802252667covid-global.png

Please note the timeline here on the bottom of the graph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question