Good news and bad news - An icy story

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here in Tennessee, we got about an inch or two of ice on Friday night - Saturday morning. Of course the power went out Saturday morning about 3:00 am, and we just got it turned back on last night around 9:00 pm - yikes, three days without power. All morning Saturday we kept hearing strange noises, with the ice sliding off the roof and the trees finally succumbing to the weight of all the ice, cracking and splitting.

Well, this is one of those good new/bad news stories. We heard an even bigger "crack - bang" and the house shook. We looked out the back patio doors, to see a big tree had broken about halfway up and landed on our deck. The little twigs were smashed up against the patio door. The bad news - it tore up the deck. :mad: The good news - the tree was just short enough that it didn't come crashing through the patio door and land in the dining room. :rolleyes:

Oh well, more work for the hubby!! At least it gave him something to do to keep him busy - I was bored silly with three days without power!

001.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's awful, but look on the good side. You can use part of your deck for firewood.:(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's awful, but look on the good side. You can use part of your deck for firewood.:(
You think like I do - there's always an upside - if you look hard enough. Sometimes it takes a lot of introspection to find it. But sometimes you just have to go with flow, and have a good sense of humor. Life's too serious to be taken seriously!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well at least it was only the deck and not your house. Should be a somewhat easy repair, but probably not the cheapest.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I never experienced winter season but all of the people I know who live in a four season country consider winter as their as their least favorite time of the year. Now I know why.

Reaction score
Country
United States
At least it didn't hit the house! We've gotten so much snow here in MA as well that I'm worried about the tress falling and the roof collapsing from all the snow. Once, a tree fell and took out the power for the whole street. Took them weeks to repair. How much snow have you guys gotten over there anyway? Hope you're staying warm and safe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love your ending with "something for the hubby to do" :) Luckily it was only a small part of your deck that was damaged that's for sure. Glad you are safe and now is back online.

Reaction score
Woah, but as you said... at least that gave your hubby something to do :p Three days without power can't go by so easily! Jesus, the longest we've had to bear with no power has been a whole night, but 3 days? Not sure how I'd survive without my laptop!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hubby " honey do" lists are the best sometimes. They enjoy the outdoor projects like this because they get to create and problem solve.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
At least it didn't hit the house! We've gotten so much snow here in MA as well that I'm worried about the tress falling and the roof collapsing from all the snow. Once, a tree fell and took out the power for the whole street. Took them weeks to repair. How much snow have you guys gotten over there anyway? Hope you're staying warm and safe.
Actually, we got very little snow, it was mostly ice. We got probably 1.5 to 2 inches of ice. Now they're calling for "heavy" wet snow tonight, maybe 3-4 inches - just what we need, now that the power's back on, heavy snow to bring the lines back down.

As for the hubby, he actually got some guy "bonding" in - all the other men in the neighborhood were either out with chainsaws, or visiting each other and "suggesting" the best way to cut up the downed trees and burn them. As for me, I had better sense than to go out in 10 degree weather, where trees were falling all around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Actually, we got very little snow, it was mostly ice. We got probably 1.5 to 2 inches of ice. Now they're calling for "heavy" wet snow tonight, maybe 3-4 inches - just what we need, now that the power's back on, heavy snow to bring the lines back down.

As for the hubby, he actually got some guy "bonding" in - all the other men in the neighborhood were either out with chainsaws, or visiting each other and "suggesting" the best way to cut up the downed trees and burn them. As for me, I had better sense than to go out in 10 degree weather, where trees were falling all around.
Have your husband talk all of the other guys into going in together and renting a big commercial chipper/ shredder and make mulch for the whole neighborhood

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Have your husband talk all of the other guys into going in together and renting a big commercial chipper/ shredder and make mulch for the whole neighborhood
That's a great idea, free mulch would be nice. But, for some reason, around here everyone likes to burn. We're in a new neighborhood of 1 acre wooded lots, and the builder and new home owners have been doing a lot of clearing. They build these big bonfires that burn for a couple of days. It's actually pretty cool, but it worries me, too. I have visions of the entire woods catching fire! :eek:

It's really neat though, at night. We sit out in the hot tub and the smoke drifts across the night sky and makes some pretty interesting shadows.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh blimey :eek:
zigs, is that an "Oh blimey" on the tree falling down, or on the fires and smoke drifting across the night sky. Both are pretty :eek: to me!!

But we've survived both, so I guess this will go in the "Adventures" file for later amusement. :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Glad you saw the good side of it :D

Ask a Question