Composting worms and Soil Amendments

Prophet

Intelligently Inquisitive
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Prophet I was toying with the idea of using a hotbin which churns out compost in no time.
Yea I've only read about them. They seem extremely useful and efficient, especially during colder times. If you decide to go that route keep me updated.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if @BigC would have a go. @BigC if you want to, make sure the place is not on fire. The temperature involved is quite frightening. LOL!

Now I have a dilemma - I'm going to get a wormery; apparently, it's an indoor thing! Ahhhhhhhhhhh ...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have not bought any worms as I know that there are tons in my 6 compost bins. I had a look and there was already a bit of juice this morning, but as the wormery was not level, couldn't get it out. I tossed in coffee grinds, ground egg shell, oats, banana skin and peel grounded.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Prophet,

The limits to your question is found in the constant of atmospheric pressure. If you will allow me a moment of suspended disbelief on your part, I will try to make a rough analogy between two engines that use oxygen, one of course is the activity of your plants and the other my attempt to use as example an internal combustion engine.

Many people like high performance vehicles, as you seek high performance plant activity.

Putting a larger gas tank on a vehicle, like adding richness to soil, or adding a variety of fuel additives, like vitamins for soil, or even weighting down or lightening the chassis do not effect change in the oxidation of fuel in the pistons of the engine. Pistons require a constant fuel to Oxygen ratio. This is equivalent to oxidation reactions in plants occuring at normal atmosphere of roughly 14psi. The balance of the reaction components have no impetus for increase, because only more oxygen would allow a greater quantity of fuel to be oxidized, whether plant or engine.

The only thing that truly makes a difference is the addition of more oxygen. As you know, oxygen and water are the prime nutrients for plants, more important than even the major nutrients NPK.

Usually NO2 (nitrous oxide) or a air pressure increasing system like a super charger or turbo charger allow for an engine to burn more fuel because they compress oxygen and deliver therefore more potential to burn more fuel per cyclein the tiny space of a piston.

So in the area you have an interest in, the term plant respiration is used. Plants breath in CO2 and breathe out Oxygen, yet if their roots have no oxygen they suffer. So to avoid pollution of the analogy, lets go into the soil and ask your question in light of how to increase respiration in oxygenated soil and therefore uptake of the fuel nutrients you are making an effort to provide.

How many soil components add to the ability of a plant to increase its cellular respiration at root level and thus take up more fuel? Not many, although all contribute to the process. However, one group of soil components has come to light as a significant support of respiration, and to my understanding it does not speed up the RPM or cycle of the plant respiration but rather the quality of, or quantity of, respiration components of a plant cycle.

This group of soil components is still not well understood as far as I know. It is my understanding that there are 12 of them known, yet only 4 are able to be provided to gardeners at this time. I am sure improvements in science could change this even as I type.

To end my analogy, I suggest you examine the humic acid amendments, the only soil additives I know of to help the engines of your plants "breathe" better.

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Prophet,

The limits to your question is found in the constant of atmospheric pressure. If you will allow me a moment of suspended disbelief on your part, I will try to make a rough analogy between two engines that use oxygen, one of course is the activity of your plants and the other my attempt to use as example an internal combustion engine.

Many people like high performance vehicles, as you seek high performance plant activity.

Putting a larger gas tank on a vehicle, like adding richness to soil, or adding a variety of fuel additives, like vitamins for soil, or even weighting down or lightening the chassis do not effect change in the oxidation of fuel in the pistons of the engine. Pistons require a constant fuel to Oxygen ratio. This is equivalent to oxidation reactions in plants occuring at normal atmosphere of roughly 14psi. The balance of the reaction components have no impetus for increase, because only more oxygen would allow a greater quantity of fuel to be oxidized, whether plant or engine.

The only thing that truly makes a difference is the addition of more oxygen. As you know, oxygen and water are the prime nutrients for plants, more important than even the major nutrients NPK.

Usually NO2 (nitrous oxide) or a air pressure increasing system like a super charger or turbo charger allow for an engine to burn more fuel because they compress oxygen and deliver therefore more potential to burn more fuel per cyclein the tiny space of a piston.

So in the area you have an interest in, the term plant respiration is used. Plants breath in CO2 and breathe out Oxygen, yet if their roots have no oxygen they suffer. So to avoid pollution of the analogy, lets go into the soil and ask your question in light of how to increase respiration in oxygenated soil and therefore uptake of the fuel nutrients you are making an effort to provide.

How many soil components add to the ability of a plant to increase its cellular respiration at root level and thus take up more fuel? Not many, although all contribute to the process. However, one group of soil components has come to light as a significant support of respiration, and to my understanding it does not speed up the RPM or cycle of the plant respiration but rather the quality of, or quantity of, respiration components of a plant cycle.

This group of soil components is still not well understood as far as I know. It is my understanding that there are 12 of them known, yet only 4 are able to be provided to gardeners at this time. I am sure improvements in science could change this even as I type.

To end my analogy, I suggest you examine the humic acid amendments, the only soil additives I know of to help the engines of your plants "breathe" better.
Very informative and helpful info..Thanks DM

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you manage to find out anything concrete post the results. I compost almost exclusively with worms in large bins and a chest freezer and feed them a wide variety of materials including rock powders like azomite and humic acid coated over horse manure. I have no proof my worm castings come out better, per se, but they can grow anything and make an amazing amendment.

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you manage to find out anything concrete post the results. I compost almost exclusively with worms in large bins and a chest freezer and feed them a wide variety of materials including rock powders like azomite and humic acid coated over horse manure. I have no proof my worm castings come out better, per se, but they can grow anything and make an amazing amendment.
I ran several experiments with all different types of plants and vegetables. To make an extremely long story short every plant that I put in the amendments and worms grew bigger plants and more fruit. Being that the information is so limited on the subject I'm glad to have tried them b/c like everyone else, I was just guessing. Whether you notice a nominal difference or not in your methods mine turned out fantastically. Never hurts to experiment and give it a shot for yourself

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That’s what I’m doing now with worm juice. I read about people saying it’s like a cure all for plants as foliar spray or liquid food. I took my old chest freezer and packed it with hay, leaves, compost, some dirt, cardboard, natural rock powders, and worms. I had trouble with moisture at first but after drilling some holes and adding more dry material they seem okay. At about 1 month old, it’s starting to come out gradually darker. I hope to have a lot ready come tomato season in a few months.

Attachments

• F86E80EC-6745-4113-8FBD-66D81A5F6A3C.jpeg
    F86E80EC-6745-4113-8FBD-66D81A5F6A3C.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 84BB5787-3DDA-4CA6-B19F-D3087FB62D4D.jpeg
    84BB5787-3DDA-4CA6-B19F-D3087FB62D4D.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 234

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've used it as a foliar spray before and had varied results. There seems to be 2 distinct sides to the worm tea foliar spray. Those who agree with it and those who don't believe it does anything. I've even had conversations with people who swore that the foliar spray from first sprouting will help with plant diseases such as powdery mildew, molds, blight etc. I personally am not so sure about the disease resistance but I don't claim to know it all either ya know (maybe it does do that). From my experience the foliar spray never helped my vegetables but seemed to have more of an effect on my caladiums and elephants ears. I have no idea why that would be but it was a noticeable difference when I would feed them. They would brighten up and perk up almost immediately. Its done wonders for my rose bushes too.

I like the freezer idea you have there too by the way..nice job

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks. I try to repurpose when possible. I don’t really have any expectations but the worm castings will be gold regardless and I can always use more worms around. I will probably try a few different ideas with the stuff. I don’t do foliar feedings anyhow most of the time since the tomatoes usually hate it but I’ll definitely be making some 1:10 strength liquid food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't think worm castings are nearly as beneficial to the soil and plants as is just having a healthy population of worms in the garden. I think it's a waste of time to vermicompost, just create a beneficial environment for worms to thrive and your garden will thrive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't think worm castings are nearly as beneficial to the soil and plants as is just having a healthy population of worms in the garden. I think it's a waste of time to vermicompost, just create a beneficial environment for worms to thrive and your garden will thrive.

Yes and no. What do you suggest I do with the food scraps from a family of 5 then? Because if I put that directly in garden beds then dogs, bears, and raccoons would be ripping the soil out of my beds. I live in the middle of the woods.

My compost bins have produced large, large quantities of castings. And I have worms in all the beds too, hundreds and hundreds in each bed. But here’s the thing. After a hot summer a lot of the worms are dead or gone. So I add more. Several wheelbarrows full every year of compost, horse manure, and worms with castings.

Ask a Question