Compost tips!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Mexico
My grandma called be last week with amazing tips for compost that I'd like to share with you all, and also to ask for recommendations.

She said she always adds banana peels in small pieces, crushed eggshells for calcium and, yes, the poop of her rabbits! I don't own any rabbits (only a dog) and I don't know what to substitute this with, but I'm thoroughly excited to add this to my previous compost mixture.

Hope this helps and you can give me some of your tips!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I think any poop will do but it is advised to have it dry first. Like the chicken poop which is very nutritious for the plants, dry it for a week before mixing it in the soil. With crushed eggshells, it is not being used anymore because it is not that effective anymore. Much better to mix in the compost are vegetable trimming and other waste from the kitchen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Mexico
I think any poop will do but it is advised to have it dry first. Like the chicken poop which is very nutritious for the plants, dry it for a week before mixing it in the soil. With crushed eggshells, it is not being used anymore because it is not that effective anymore. Much better to mix in the compost are vegetable trimming and other waste from the kitchen.

One of my closest friends has a rooster pet. Do you think it's poop will do? I can totally go get it, as I don't think my friend has any use for it haha
Also, thanks for the tip on the crused eggshells, I will make sure to tell my grandma. I know she already uses vegetable and fruit waste from her cooking, but this can be a game changer for her. Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have chickens, and amazing compost, thanks to our hens! However, chicken manure is very "hot", which means it is high in nitrogen and used fresh or not fully composted it can burn plants. We compost our chicken manure for six months. I would highly recommend composting it for at least six months. Your friend's rooster's output will do, but you won't get much from one bird.
I rinse out eggshells and crush them and put them in a lidded can. When it comes time to plant tomatoes, I put one or two tablespoons of the crushed eggshells in the hole before transplanting the tomato plant. The extra calcium seems to help prevent blossom end rot. When I don't need to save egg shells, I just mash them a bit and put them in the compost pile.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
One of my closest friends has a rooster pet. Do you think it's poop will do? I can totally go get it, as I don't think my friend has any use for it haha
Also, thanks for the tip on the crused eggshells, I will make sure to tell my grandma. I know she already uses vegetable and fruit waste from her cooking, but this can be a game changer for her. Thank you so much!

Any bird poop will do. In the years past, we had a pigeon that lived inside the house. When it poops in the living room, we would wipe it with tissue and that tissue will be part of the compost bin. One of the best for compost is bat poop which is very nutritious for the soil. But with the rooster, yes, gather the poop and dry it for a week before mixing in the soil and applying to your garden. Wet poop is hot and can kill your plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I think the general rule for using animal waste in compost is herbivores only, none from carnivores.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have bunnies in the yard all year round and I just dig the poop into the soil or I put it in the compost bin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Grandma knows best, I use all things listed, except the rabbit poop. I don't own a rabbit and don't know anyone with one, but I heard it is great fertilizer. My dad used to have chickens and he would add the chicken manure to his compost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
In order to add the chicken manure to your plants as fertilizer, It is best to mix it with water to create a light solution, then water the plants with it. If you add the chicken poop directly to the soil, there's root or trunk burning risk. It is a great fertilizer by the way.

Ask a Question