Compost Not Heading

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I am trying to get my compost heated up. I am using a Tumbler. I added greens, browns, and compost starter. The compost is not heating up. What do I need to do to get it started?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi,

I am trying to get my compost heated up. I am using a Tumbler. I added greens, browns, and compost starter. The compost is not heating up. What do I need to do to get it started?
Add about 2 oz of molasses per gallon of water and just pour it on the material and give it couple of turns. Molasses greatly enhances the growth of soil microbes which is what breaks down organic matter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How long would it take from that point?
The warmer the ambient temperature the faster it will work. There is no accurate timetable for composting. Also, some materials compost faster than others. Composting takes time but the more soil microbes you have in the mix the faster it will compost.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The warmer the ambient temperature the faster it will work. There is no accurate timetable for composting. Also, some materials compost faster than others. Composting takes time but the more soil microbes you have in the mix the faster it will compost.

Thanks! I know it will take time, but I am wondering how long will it take to start heating up before I start cursing and giving up on this whole compost concept :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks! I know it will take time, but I am wondering how long will it take to start heating up before I start cursing and giving up on this whole compost concept :)
Compost making DOES NOT have to heat up to make compost. As long as you have sufficient soil microbes the material will break down. And once it gets started good you will be surprised at how fast it will go. Just keep the correct moisture level and carbohydrates for microbe growth and all will be well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That heat thing is a volume issue. A cubic yard is sort of a minimum. The tumbler lets it rot but most are not that large so its like Chuck says that its an oxidation reduction and you get black stuff but thats about it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use poultry mix to heat up my compost and it works fast every time. It doesn't take much to get it working, however it stinks for a day of so, so keep away from the house. The best part about using poultry mix is its loaded with all kinds of extra nutrients that will make a balanced compost in the end. Plus, I paid only $19 for 40 lbs and a bag will last me years.

Attachments

• IMG_1004.JPG
    IMG_1004.JPG
    316.7 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1005.JPG
    IMG_1005.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 104
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That heat thing is a volume issue. A cubic yard is sort of a minimum. The tumbler lets it rot but most are not that large so its like Chuck says that its an oxidation reduction and you get black stuff but thats about it.
I agree, it's all about the volume when it comes to hot composting....The bigger pile the better.

Ask a Question