Composting Kombucha leavings and scoby / scobies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Plant Hardiness Zone 6b - near border 6a, Heat Zone 7
Country
United States
Entered into an arrangement with a local kombucha manufacturer. They think they can give me about 5 gallons of compostables per week. The note mentioned:

tea leaves
Lavendar petals
Hibiscus flower
Spent hops
Powdered orange peel
Scoby trimmings

However, she noted that anything that sat in the kombucha would have a pH of 2.8-3.5.

So, is there a way to mediate that low pH?

Any red flags in the ingredients, powdered orange peel?

Has anyone ever composted scoby / multiple scobies? Assuming pH would be as above.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Plant Hardiness Zone 6b - near border 6a, Heat Zone 7
Country
United States
I'm providing an update in case anyone has access to these composting materials.

1) Spent hops - these are high oil and don't break down quickly. In fact, it takes an extremely long time. If you're like me and also using worms to help process organic materials into garden amendments, you don't want hops. Even the worms avoid this stuff.

2) Lavender & hibiscus & powdered orange peel - These are avoided for a while by worms but I still use them. I scatter them on tops of beds where I want to discourage mammal digging and latrine functions. They seem to work ok. Both break down so you'll need to reapply. There wasn't enough powdered orange peel to really worry about even moderate term effects.

3) SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria & Yeast) trimmings - looks like hog fat trimmings but is ABSOLUTE WORM CRACK. Seriously, the worms LOVE SCOBY. I've also composted it without worms but almost all goes to the worm areas. I even used it in production beds to stimulate additional worm activity. Always cover it with some soil, compost, leaves, whatever.

4) pH - there have been no effects from low pH. The materials seem to rapidly come back to usable areas. I have had no pH issues even when using a lot of the materials above.

Anyway, if you luck into being able to get these compost inputs, the real score is the SCOBY followed by the tea materials. Great stuff!

Ask a Question