Composter recommendations

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi all! Wondering if you can recommend any composter brands to look at? We are planting our first few raised beds of veggies, have first 4 fruit trees planted (more to come) and I’d like to feed them all well:)

I imagine the dual chamber composter is a good bet? What do you recommend I look at and what to stay away from?

thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are also very new and will be planting raised bed. I was going to post the same question. Does anyone have any luck with compost tumblers? The reviews look good but I could not find anything on this forum. Thanks for any information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We planned to use the solids, but I don't know anything about the tea???

The liquids expressed are also full of biology. Add sugar, they tend to the bacterial, add proteins and they tend to the fungal. They are used as bio-weapons, and bringers of soil water and digested nutrients amongst other talents.

I do not do much of that myself, but a barrel composter with holes on the end or even an upright barrel would serve for collecting liquids in a bucket. Some just use a sheet of plastic under a loose pile with preforated pipes introduced for air.

I have a small vertical container composter and my wife has faithfully put stuff from the kitchen in it for years. I never mentioned that I never put a bottom in it, and as a result it never fills up. If I did not have it that way, she would no doubt have me hauling the chopped bits out, and I have enough to do as it is. I feel so anyway. So this bottom part is a big deal. Barrels that lay horizontally upon wheels work well, they generally have no holes but the lids are suspect and I imagine would leak should the thing be turned wrong. But compost is heavy, and I would favor either a relatively small barrel to kick about or if the volume requires it, then a large barrel on the wheels for turning. Anyone having pitchforked a pile of compost for aeration would appreciate a better way.

Here are a couple of bigger tumblers. The little ones seem to cost as much or several times more and are as much as 3x smaller. The slick looking picture is a tumbler sold via Lowes Home Improvement Stores.
Screenshot_20200406-182122_resize_73.jpg
Screenshot_20200406-182510.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
The liquids expressed are also full of biology. Add sugar, they tend to the bacterial, add proteins and they tend to the fungal. They are used as bio-weapons, and bringers of soil water and digested nutrients amongst other talents.

I do not do much of that myself, but a barrel composter with holes on the end or even an upright barrel would serve for collecting liquids in a bucket. Some just use a sheet of plastic under a loose pile with preforated pipes introduced for air.

I have a small vertical container composter and my wife has faithfully put stuff from the kitchen in it for years. I never mentioned that I never put a bottom in it, and as a result it never fills up. If I did not have it that way, she would no doubt have me hauling the chopped bits out, and I have enough to do as it is. I feel so anyway. So this bottom part is a big deal. Barrels that lay horizontally upon wheels work well, they generally have no holes but the lids are suspect and I imagine would leak should the thing be turned wrong. But compost is heavy, and I would favor either a relatively small barrel to kick about or if the volume requires it, then a large barrel on the wheels for turning. Anyone having pitchforked a pile of compost for aeration would appreciate a better way.

Here are a couple of bigger tumblers. The little ones seem to cost as much or several times more and are as much as 3x smaller. The slick looking picture is a tumbler sold via Lowes Home Improvement Stores.View attachment 62793View attachment 62794
Thank you so much!!

Ask a Question