JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
In our area gata montes any type of stone mulch does not work well. Between rain and our soft ground the rock mulch eventually sinks into the earth as weeds grow up and between each and every pebble. I love the look, but it's just not practical in the north east.

Makes sense. I put a layer of stones behind my garage where I keep extra wood and bricks and within two seasons you can't tell its there. It's all grass and weeds again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I only know of tan, dark brown, and red mulch. Are there other colors? I'm getting the red mulch because my trim is a reddish brown and I think the red much has a little more pop. Even if it fades, it will still look good with the trim.
Black mulch seems to be what everyone currently is using in my area. You wouldn't think it, but it does make a real statement, and many bulk vendors don't even dye it. I think I'm going on my third year with this color, and it really helps in the warming of the soil.

Reaction score
In our area gata montes any type of stone mulch does not work well. Between rain and our soft ground the rock mulch eventually sinks into the earth as weeds grow up and between each and every pebble. I love the look, but it's just not practical in the north east.

Although as I've already mentioned - crushed stone and gravel mulches are my preference - as they blend in with the natural landscape - they are also the only type of mulch that works with the extremely arid rocky landscape that we have here.

However that said - as I have also used crushed stone and gravel mulches in climates where the conditions were similar to yours and never experienced any of the problems you mention - as you like the look of these mulches - you could always try putting horticultural weed suppressing down first - as not only does that stop the mulch from disappearing into the soil but it also helps stop the weeds from growing through too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Tried the weed fabric, but over time it breaks down. Then the weeds begin to grow through the fabric, and makes it twice as tuff to pull the weeds without harming more of the fabric. Also furry little critters started tunneling everywhere. Thanks but I'll pass on trying again. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Tried the weed fabric, but over time it breaks down. Then the weeds begin to grow through the fabric, and makes it twice as tuff to pull the weeds without harming more of the fabric. Also furry little critters started tunneling everywhere. Thanks but I'll pass on trying again. ;)
I used weed fabric so that the grass did not grow back into my new laid out garden beds before I got a chance to lay down mulch this spring. I had to make a whole new flower bed and kill the grass because the lady who lived their before did not do gardens. That was some work. It took us all last summer to clean up the grounds so we could have gardens this year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We mulch the flower beds with a natural wood chip mulch, and also the paths. In the vegetable garden we use dried out grass clippings, and frankly, I'd go with the grass clippings everywhere except the paths (get tracked into the house).
I guess you'd call our mulch color "tan".
When we moved here, there was weed fabric left from an abortive effort to grow something other than weeds. I am still pulling up bits and pieces after eight years. Hate the stuff!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
When we moved here, there was weed fabric left from an abortive effort to grow something other than weeds. I am still pulling up bits and pieces after eight years. Hate the stuff!
I fully agree mg. There is no way I would ever put down weed fabric again. It's gonna break down eventually, and if you want to change the theme of the garden, all that crap has to then come out. Trust me, it ain't no fun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I have worked with red mulch. It is best to wear gloves when handling it. Some of the red dye comes off the mulch.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have worked with red mulch. It is best to wear gloves when handling it. Some of the red dye comes off the mulch.

Years ago, my grandma had me haul and place some bags of red mulch for her. It permanently stained my shoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't know what type of chemicals go into those dyed mulches, but even if they're totally harmless those store-bought mulches are just a waste of money. For mulch to help in building soil, you need variety, not just the larger chopped up logs that make up the store-bought mulches. Small twigs and leaves that come from an entire tree are so much more valuable in building soil.

This guy explains and shows this point well

Last edited:

Ask a Question