Colored mulch

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is your opinion of colored mulch?
It all depends on what it is. For instance, pine bark mulch is pretty much useless IMO but if it is oak or cedar or pine wood or cypress etc it is great and if you want to pay more for a little dye that will not last that's OK too

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There's coloured mulch?

All we got it a choice of rock chippings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There's coloured mulch?

All we got it a choice of rock chippings
Oh yeah. There is red mulch, black mulch, green mulch, white mulch. Why? I am clueless. As for what the dye is made from I am clueless on that too.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Does anyone else get random pieces in their mulch? I've seen plastic, garbage, even a hunk of wood with two nails in it. Ridiculous and dangerous...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
I re-read about dyed mulch. It lasts only a season and does not break down as well and is made from any trash wood. We have been using a natural hardwood mulch. We began using one made in and for the extremes of Texas' climate. Reasonably priced but like all mulches it does fade and eventually breaks down. We add new mulch every spring. It takes < > 20 bags.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_90184-78273...rrentURL=?Ntt=mulch&page=1&facetInfo=In Store

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Does anyone else get random pieces in their mulch? I've seen plastic, garbage, even a hunk of wood with two nails in it. Ridiculous and dangerous...
I have in the past until I stopped buying from the local ads paper. I now buy it from a garden center just down the road from me who guarantees his product is clean, and not green. Normally I buy five cubic yards, but with the new beds I'm cutting in, I think eight yards is gonna be needed this year.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I get brown colored mulch from a garden center. I guess they just throw whatever they can find into it.. I bought so many bags to fill my pond area that I have to stick with it now. Most, maybe all, of the junk I found has been removed. Power company has a huge pile of woodchips and mulch that they give away for free and that's come in handy on the side of the house. I may go over and get some more for my native plant gardens.

IMG_1104.png

Reaction score
As my preference has always been to use fine gravel, crushed stone or flint as a mulch - mainly because it naturally blends in with the rocky arid landscape we have where I live - I have to be honest and say that colored mulches are not really something that I've given much thought to - especially as - although I was aware that some mineral mulches come in different colors - I had absolutely no idea that bark mulches came in different colors - which as I now know that they do - would probably be great for those that would like to add some extra color to their garden - but that said - I will be be staying with my fine gravel and crushed stone - as apart from the fact that it doesn't need replacing every year, is clean and does the job extremely well - I much prefer the natural look it gives to my garden :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
In our area gata montes any type of stone mulch does not work well. Between rain and our soft ground the rock mulch eventually sinks into the earth as weeds grow up and between each and every pebble. I love the look, but it's just not practical in the north east.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I only know of tan, dark brown, and red mulch. Are there other colors? I'm getting the red mulch because my trim is a reddish brown and I think the red much has a little more pop. Even if it fades, it will still look good with the trim.

Ask a Question