Cold frame gardening

Reaction score
I think maybe the bubble wrap could help insulate it during an extra cold snap, but it would be a lot of work ... and of course it would always be short term, especially if it was the only covering on the top - whether its about damage from the weather, or even a cat jumping on top of it to see what's what! Hmmm ... I think my plan to experiment with bubble wrap on the top of a cold frame had better go back to the drawing board!

I've seen the little greenhouses with a plastic cover - they look like real space savers, great choice. I'd want it against a house wall, though, rather than freestanding, and I don't have anywhere where it would fit.

Its a really good point about opening and closing the cold frame top as appropriate - I know greenhouses can have a solar-powered vent, though they're quite little. For me, since I work from home, I could do it myself, but if you work outside the home for any length of time at all, it could be a real problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think maybe the bubble wrap could help insulate it during an extra cold snap, but it would be a lot of work...
... but if you work outside the home for any length of time at all, it could be a real problem.

There is that...

I have decided to hold off with winter plants for now. I do have a sprouted potato plant, and I still have some sprouted garlic to attend to, but I think I am done with new plants for right now. I need a more organized system for managing what I have now.

I'm away three days out of the week so I worry about my plants getting their needs met when I'm gone. Stuff indoors will probably survive okay, but if there's a freeze and I'm gone and the plants outside need to be covered or uncovered...

Reaction score
Heavens, yes, at this time of year 3 days away can be a lifetime for a plant thats outside, I'm not surprised you worry. You might be able to see from my avatar that although I have the bones of a garden, I don't have any new planting - I'm planning a bigger border, and its currently under cardboard to help the grass that was there die off. I've never gardened on this scale before, so I'm still a beginner.

Reaction score
I have never heard of this before.. I don't think I will never need this.. with the heat out here.. I don't have to worry about plants being out in winter..
I looks like a fully enclosed green house to me.. lol
cfs2-500_9758213_orig.jpg
I would love to have one like this!
It would probably be perfect for growing lettuce right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I would love to have one like this!
It would probably be perfect for growing lettuce right now.

You could always use a big storage bin as a temporary cold box; I've seen a lot of images of people doing that with lettuce and spinach.

Reaction score
Sproutsprite, that cold frame looks great - its polycarbonate (I remembered the name of the type of plastic!) its got the arm fixed to the body so that the lid can be kept open for ventilation, and it doesn't open too far, so hopefully you wouldn't get too many cats climbing in ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I will be going to town today to look for seeds, supplies and some nice soil. I am excited about this!

Great! Good luck with everything, and be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

Here's an example of using a storage bin:

100_7469+small.jpg

Check out this awesome cold frame! I would love to have one of these to get started with.
PT3303-DS.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ChanellG, this cold frame would be perfect for my miniature roses! They went dormant and I moved them to the attic but sometimes I worry it's too warm there.
I also really like the idea of using a storage bin as a cold frame. It's an inexpensive solution. Although I must say I'd prefer something like this:

Glass%20Bell%20Jars%20-%20Sml.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Claudine, yes, the bell jar cloches are lovely. They are supposed to be ideal for plants like African violets and other "hothouse" types that need more humidity. Of course you also have to lift them occasionally so the plants don't overheat and can get air.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's good thing they have these grips on the top of them, it makes lifting them way more convenient :)

Ask a Question