Cold Frame

Reaction score
Now that the winter is slowing moving in the right direction, I was wondering how many of you who live in colder climates use cold frames to either start off seedlings or use it to grow salad crops? I had to take down my homemade polytunnel and I'm recycling the plastic to make two 4m x 2m arches to make use of the material and it can still be effective at growing crops I normally had inside the tunnel.

Reaction score
I've used a cold frame inside of an unheated greenhouse and we had a really good yield with veggies such as kale, chard, spinach, etc. We have also used a tunnel as well and things grew decently. For us it was a matter of lots of sunny days in February and March; it got the ground to warm up and once it did everything went crazy. Its been a slower start this year but the sun has been gracing us with its presence nearly everyday so the plants should start to perk up.

Reaction score
I've used a cold frame inside of an unheated greenhouse and we had a really good yield with veggies such as kale, chard, spinach, etc. We have also used a tunnel as well and things grew decently. For us it was a matter of lots of sunny days in February and March; it got the ground to warm up and once it did everything went crazy. Its been a slower start this year but the sun has been gracing us with its presence nearly everyday so the plants should start to perk up.

We've not really got started yet. Started to re-build on a section of tunnel I'm going to use for seedlings before rotating them out into general population. It's been snowing the last couple of days here and the coldest it's been this winter, so another month before we enen think about it. Just praying for a good summer.

Ask a Question