Coconut fiber mini pots -biodegradable

Reaction score
Country
Australia
not sure which category this fits so I ask here .
With coconut fiber mini pots , are they designed as a seed starter ??? and once the seed starts getting a nodule/plant can they together with the coconut fiber mini pot be put into the ground ??
its strange because when I google the images , u can see some are designed as permanent big pots also, but I dont think thats what the original creator had in mind.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have not used coconut fiber pots, but from my experience with cardboard tubes and some peat pots I was given I would say it depends a bit what you are growing. Things like beans, with strong roots, go straight through them, some flowers though couldn't make it through the pot , and became root bound. The problem I ran into with peat pots was drying out. I still have one packet of the peat pots years later as the problem I ran into was drying out. They are small and lose water through the entire surface area, of course the surface area to volume ratio increases dramatically the smaller you get and I found that even if I watered regularly it was difficult to keep the moisture level constant at germination temperatures, and constancy is what seeds like.
I stand the cardboard tubes upright in a shallow tray and fill the whole thing with compost. I keep the tray watered until it flows over, but the seeds are in the top part of the tube so they are above the water level and don't get sodden.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I wondered if it could be done with Newspaper ??? in a glass jar ? I would buy - seed starter soil, and then just use water spray to mist them once or every 2 days. would that work ??

Attachments

• paper-pots.jpg
    paper-pots.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what Australian newspapers are made of. Here they used to be straight wood pulp and you could even line a runner bean trench with them, now there is a fair percentage of plastic in the paper and I wouldn't try, maybe try experiments with paper from a few different sources.

Ask a Question