Oberwintering Whopper begonias (fiberous)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I was looking for advice on how to overwinter my whopper begonias. I have checked for bulbs and they dont have any just a standard root system. Can I just chop them back to say 6 inches and place in a smaller pot and bring indoors for the winter or put in the shed? Will the plant keep growing if I cut back and bring indoors etc?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you want to keep such Begonia over Winter, treat them like house plants. Give them bright light and regular water with good drainage. You could also try taking cuttings and rooting them in similar conditions over Winter.

Whopper™ Begonia is line of bedding Begonia bred by Benary. They are calling them Begonia x benariensis, but that wouldn't be an appropriate name for a cultivars. I don't know the exact breeding, but it looks like they crossed Wax Begonias (Begonia Semperflorens-Cultorum Group) with some larger rhizomatous types.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you want to keep such Begonia over Winter, treat them like house plants. Give them bright light and regular water with good drainage. You could also try taking cuttings and rooting them in similar conditions over Winter.

Whopper™ Begonia is line of bedding Begonia bred by Benary. They are calling them Begonia x benariensis, but that wouldn't be an appropriate name for a cultivars. I don't know the exact breeding, but it looks like they crossed Wax Begonias (Begonia Semperflorens-Cultorum Group) with some larger rhizomatous types.
Thanks for the reply. I will try that especially the cuttings. I'll google that for sure.
Should I chop the height off the begonias before repotting and bringing indoors? If so how much should i leave on them?Got 6 in a big pot so no option other than repotting in individual pots.
Again. Thanks in advance

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alba

Latest Threads