Coconuts

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I do not know whether coconuts could be called a vegetable or a fruit. So when in doubt place it under 'General gardening Talk' :)
Here coconuts are a commercial cropl. There are several coconut farms and for some they are their daily bread. Coconuts are a money spinner.
For us it is a hobby. We have just 8 trees. We get enough for our own consumption and the rest we sell.

coconutgreen.jpg
redctree.JPG
coconutsgopala.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How blessed you are! I love coconut, fresh flesh and juice! It is very hard to find here. My mom used to make candied coconut pieces for New Year. Coconut oil is also very good for us, but I am allergic to it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
How blessed you are! I love coconut, fresh flesh and juice! It is very hard to find here. My mom used to make candied coconut pieces for New Year. Coconut oil is also very good for us, but I am allergic to it.
Coconuts are a main crop this part of the country. Every household has trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, that's a lot of coconuts! I sometimes buy fresh coconuts, but I don't do it often, because it's very difficult to open them. Their shells are so hard!
I love coconut milk:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Wow, that's a lot of coconuts! I sometimes buy fresh coconuts, but I don't do it often, because it's very difficult to open them. Their shells are so hard!
I love coconut milk:)
They are indeed hard. I have never opened them. We have help around. Coconut milk is used here for many dishes, sweet as well as in curries.

Reaction score
Wow... so many cocnuts! Amazing, do you guys make a good sum of money after selling those? I have never seen a coconut tree, are those hard to harvest? Do you have a technique for that?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Wow... so many cocnuts! Amazing, do you guys make a good sum of money after selling those? I have never seen a coconut tree, are those hard to harvest? Do you have a technique for that?
Those with coconut farms do earn a lot. What we have are just 7 trees. We do sell.
Coconut trees need plenty of water and they are provided with good amount of fertilizer periodically. There are pluckers who climb the trees which grow up to 30 feet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
How wonderful to have fresh coconuts so readily available. We love to cook our chicken pieces which we dust with polenta on the bbq using coconut oil. It really gives a great flavour and we are told is very good for us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
When we moved in this house in 2001, we have a coconut tree that is fruiting. The coconuts are big and the water can fill a big glass. Sadly, the neighbor complained of the dirt that it brings when the fronds are old and wilted that it falls on the neighbor's yard. In dismay of the neighbor's petty complaint, my husband had the coconut tree felled. I feel so sorry.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
What a shame Corzhens. It is a pity your neighbors were difficult. We have been very lucky with neighbors but we are all a fair distance apart with blocks of 3/4 acre each so that makes a difference, I guess. Our neighbors of over 20 years have their house on the market at present so it is actually quite sad. I have to be happy for them though, having a literal "sea change". We have a path leading into each other's places so we'll see if that remains once we have the newbies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
When we moved in this house in 2001, we have a coconut tree that is fruiting. The coconuts are big and the water can fill a big glass. Sadly, the neighbor complained of the dirt that it brings when the fronds are old and wilted that it falls on the neighbor's yard. In dismay of the neighbor's petty complaint, my husband had the coconut tree felled. I feel so sorry.

Rather than cutting down the tree if the fronds were tied and then lowered in your own compound that could have saved your tree. Dried fronds are not a pretty sight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
What a shame Corzhens. It is a pity your neighbors were difficult. We have been very lucky with neighbors but we are all a fair distance apart with blocks of 3/4 acre each so that makes a difference, I guess. Our neighbors of over 20 years have their house on the market at present so it is actually quite sad. I have to be happy for them though, having a literal "sea change". We have a path leading into each other's places so we'll see if that remains once we have the newbies.

My husband was actually dismayed with our neighbor because it was a Sunday morning when 3 guys knocked on our gate to tell us that they would cut down the tree. Surprised, my husband learned that it was our neighbor's order. Worse, we had to pay those guys. But to cut the story short, we had the tree cut. What a warm welcome we received from the neighbor.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
My husband was actually dismayed with our neighbor because it was a Sunday morning when 3 guys knocked on our gate to tell us that they would cut down the tree. Surprised, my husband learned that it was our neighbor's order. Worse, we had to pay those guys. But to cut the story short, we had the tree cut. What a warm welcome we received from the neighbor.

There could have been a conversation on how to save the tree. That was indeed rude.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh no! I am so sorry! I recently discovered all the wonderful things coconut oil can do. I'm completely hooked, now. Its the only oil I use anymore... for skin, for my dogs' skin and fur, cooking, even making homemade rose oil. I couldn't imagine being allergic to it. I really am so sorry!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
That is indeed horrible unneighborly behavior! Hope it doesn't taint your "home is your haven" feelings.

Ask a Question