Coco Coir Pod Advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all:

I'm looking for some tips on how to get the best results using coco coir starter pods for seedlings. I got a few green shoots for a dozen kale and chard seedlings, but half withered away after two weeks (and all my broccoli died, too). How much should you water those types of pods? I've had many seedlings die off due to damping in the past, so I've been pretty conservative with water for this batch.

Here are some specs:

1. I'm using this type of coco coir pod: https://www.amazon.com/Viagrow-Starter-Sustainable-Expandable-50-Pack/dp/B09SR5Q3LZ

2. Seedlings are in an east facing room that gets consistent morning light (I'm in southern California). Room is between 77-82 degrees most days.

3. I soaked the pods to start, but haven't watered in the two weeks since.

Thanks for any advice!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Those are all crops I would plant seed direct into the ground, just make a shallow drill, sow seed thinly, cover and water from time to time. When they sprout thin them out and transplant the thinnings, even sown carefully it seems they always come too close.
Why mess about with expensive artificial blocks made from coconut shells? The other question is why are you surprised your seedlings died when you had them in an 80 degree room for two weeks without watering them? I would imagine they were bone dry.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
They are shite, far better to start brassicas in seed trays, then prick out to 3 inch pots of multi-purpose (home made) compost.
Many brassicas prefer being transplanted to thinning-out, as you can plant them up to the cotyledons.

Ask a Question