Clematis - diseased or something else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Clematis Arabella in a container, when lots of the leaves turned brown last year, in its first summer I blamed the (record-breaking) heatwave in SE England. But we've had the mildest dampest summer possible this year and exactly the same thing's happened. Lots of lovely lush growth, then some of the leaves start turning dark brown, then more and more of them. It's still producing new leaves and flowers but the leaves aren't getting very big before they start browning. Although it doesn't quite fit 'clematis wilt' descriptions I wonder if I should bin the plant entirely, and buy a fresh one to pot up in clean compost. Anyone want to confirm or deny my suspicions? Thank you!

IMG_6587.jpg
IMG_6589.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very gently tip the plant out of the container and get a look that the roots. If the plant roots fill up the pot completely it's time to up-pot in a larger container. Only increase the pot size 2 inches or use the same pot only with fresh soil.

Ask a Question