Citrus tree infestation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Something has attacked my potted citrus trees. Looks like cocoon’s filled with a powdery substance. The trees are also covered with black ants. I need

IMG_2136.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Get yourself some B.T.
B.T. (Bacillus Thuringiensis)
It is only harmful to insects and can be used to topically treat any plant material including edible plants such as fruit, citrus, tomatoes, and other garden vegetables. It can be applied in a powdered dust form or as a liquid via a hose-end, self-mixing, or pump sprayer. Google

Reaction score
Country
United States
Get yourself some B.T.
B.T. (Bacillus Thuringiensis)
It is only harmful to insects and can be used to topically treat any plant material including edible plants such as fruit, citrus, tomatoes, and other garden vegetables. It can be applied in a powdered dust form or as a liquid via a hose-end, self-mixing, or pump sprayer. Google

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am going to have nightmares tonight after seeing that, but in a strange way I have a sudden craving for clam chowder lol.

I hope you get it cured, I've never seen anything like that!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like mealy bugs?

To stop ants from infesting your trees, I suggest using Tanglefoot with flagging tape. Ants promote aphids, scales and mealy bugs on your trees, so I’ve religiously used this method for my citrus trees back in SoCal.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It is Cottony-cushion Scale and B.t. won’t touch it. As big as they are, I find squishing them works real well. Dabbing at them with alcohol will work, too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used to use neem oil for citrus leaf miners and aphids. Not sure if it’s good for scales.

Reaction score
Country
France
I have the exact same problem Jan here, and was just about to post some photos here. Maybe it's that time of year?
I guess it is cottony-cushion scale, aka Icerya purchasi

Anyone else know of great remedies ?

Attachments

• citrus_1.jpg
    citrus_1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 7
  • citrus_2.jpg
    citrus_2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yep, you got'em too. A synthetic pyrethroid should do the trick. If they're not spread all over the plant, a wet paper towel usually works. They tend to be right out in the open and don't hide much. Good ant control lets their natural predators keep them under control.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The best way I deal with scale is by spraying Dorment oil during the Winter. Spray all the wood and the oil will cover the scale and make their shells soft. When a freeze hits them it will kill them and they will fall off. Using Dormant oil is a preventive and active spray and should be used every year. It kills a lot of other pest as well.

Ask a Question