Citronella: does it work?

Reaction score
Anyone try growing citronella? I've seen it at the local garden store. Does it help with the mosquitoes? I'm wondering if the plant itself is strong enough to keep them away. I have a one year old and I hate to put bug spray on her.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Anyone try growing citronella? I've seen it at the local garden store. Does it help with the mosquitoes? I'm wondering if the plant itself is strong enough to keep them away. I have a one year old and I hate to put bug spray on her.
I don't think having the plants will do much as far as repelling mosquitoes. What repels them is the oil in the plant and it is difficult to distill the oil from the plant. Why not plant a bunch of catnip plants? They will repell mosquitoes plus make the neighborhood cats happy

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Citronella in the oil is very strong and I think the condensed version is what gets rid of the bugs. I wish you could do it naturally because the oil stinks bad...even if it is lemon scented.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I agree that the oil, not the plant itself, is what you can use to repel mosquitoes. The oil is usually sold in organic stores. I have seen an insect repellent that contains citronella and has no DEET. I don't know if Human Nature is available where you come from, but this product is very good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm afraid that planting citronella is not enough to repel mosquitoes. Those nasty creatures are always hungry and ready to attack:( I know something about it, because I live on an island. There are so many insects here! The best way to deal with them is to install mosquito nets in all windows.

Reaction score
To be honest I've never found citronella to work at all - in fact I'd go so far as to say that rather than repel them - mosquitoes seem to like citronella - well at least the ones where I live do and believe me I have thousands of them to deal with all year round.

The only true mosquito repellent that I've found to work is Catnip - as I've found that having Catnip plants dotted around the place is an extremely effective way of keeping mosquitoes at bay and a very versatile one too - as you can use it as a body wipe just by crushing the leaves, or as a spray or even as a fresh potpourri.

However if you are a cat owner - you need to be aware that if you use Catnip as a body wipe - that your cat may well find you extremely attractive and start being overly friendly towards you :D

Reaction score
I've never had citronella work at all. As far as the candles go, you are better off getting close to a wood fire and let the smoke drive them away. :) They plants are pretty though, and you will enjoy having some I'm sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It all depends on the person too, I have heard that people with more sugar content in their bodies attract more mosquitos to them. I fall into the category of those who will get bitten if there is a bug around. I am not sure how much fact there is to the whole sugar content thing because I have not fully researched it. My husband on the other hand, can stand in a whole swarm and come out unscathed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
To be honest I've never found citronella to work at all - in fact I'd go so far as to say that rather than repel them - mosquitoes seem to like citronella - well at least the ones where I live do and believe me I have thousands of them to deal with all year round.

The only true mosquito repellent that I've found to work is Catnip - as I've found that having Catnip plants dotted around the place is an extremely effective way of keeping mosquitoes at bay and a very versatile one too - as you can use it as a body wipe just by crushing the leaves, or as a spray or even as a fresh potpourri.

However if you are a cat owner - you need to be aware that if you use Catnip as a body wipe - that your cat may well find you extremely attractive and start being overly friendly towards you :D
It all depends on the person too, I have heard that people with more sugar content in their bodies attract more mosquitos to them. I fall into the category of those who will get bitten if there is a bug around. I am not sure how much fact there is to the whole sugar content thing because I have not fully researched it. My husband on the other hand, can stand in a whole swarm and come out unscathed!
Isn't beer full of sugar? If so I should have been drained dry years ago. Mosquitoes don't bother me at all but then maybe I just don't realize that they are there

Reaction score
Rosyrain - not heard that one before - as although I've heard that mosquitoes may be attracted to peoples sweat and even to the perfume that they are wearing - I'm definitely not too sure about the sugar theory - particularly as - although I hardly ever eat or drink anything that contains sugar and therefore assume because of that - my body doesn't contain enough sugar to be appealing to mosquitoes - they all still seem to be very attracted to me and always enjoy having a hefty feed :D

Chuck - In that case I would agree - its probably due to the fact that you are totally oblivious to them being around.

Although I do have to say - that your method of repelling mosquitoes - does sound like a pleasant way of doing so - even though I might just have to consider using a slightly different substance in order to make use of it :D :D

Reaction score
I find that citronella oil works great for me. I just add some to my sunscreen lotion. I've never heard of anyone making much progress with growing the herb itself. I've never tried extracting oils from plants, easier to buy the bottle IMO

Ask a Question