Chuck - Hot Pepper questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What would make the growing tip leaves of hot pepper plants turn dark green and appear to be stunted or shriveling up, but not shriveling up - - almost a little curling kinda?
Most of the time it is caused by big weather changes such as low to very high humidity, low morning temps to really high afternoon temps etc. It can also be caused by over fertilization. In any event it doesn't seem to cause any loss of production. In a really unusual scenario it could be some type of virus but that would be very unusual. The plant usually outgrows this but keep an eye on it anyway. Most of my peppers have distorted curling leaves too. Mostly on the new to middle growth. It disappeared on the old growth as it got older.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Definitely have been over watering my container plants. Bought a moisture gauge - haven't watered for 2 full days in very hot temps. Moisture gauge says soil still moist and plants look fine.

Tangentially, one Ghost pepper pod looks very light green when I would be expecting it to start turning red. I cannot find any explanation is Google. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Definitely have been over watering my container plants. Bought a moisture gauge - haven't watered for 2 full days in very hot temps. Moisture gauge says soil still moist and plants look fine.

Tangentially, one Ghost pepper pod looks very light green when I would be expecting it to start turning red. I cannot find any explanation is Google. Any ideas?
Just be patient

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
HAHAHAha that is like an oxymoron for me! :D

Just went out there and one plant was wilting so I watered it - I am sure a few others will catch up by end of day.

I'll be patient! ;)
Only water if the plant is droopy or wilted in the AM. If it isn't wilted in the AM it DOES NOT NEED WATER.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If is was droopy now (2:52 PM), I wait to water?
Wait. It is super hot outside and the plants transpiration has stopped. It's supposed to wilt in this kind of heat. It will take some of your plants longer to wilt than others. Some plants may not wilt at all. Only in the AM do you decide to water or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wait. It is super hot outside and the plants transpiration has stopped. It's supposed to wilt in this kind of heat. It will take some of your plants longer to wilt than others. Some plants may not wilt at all. Only in the AM do you decide to water or not.

Will do!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They are definitely drooping today! I feel sorry for them...

I'm pretty sure they're going to need a drink in the AM! We'll see what they look like then but it will be really hard for me to let them go another day, if I have to...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They are definitely drooping today! I feel sorry for them...

I'm pretty sure they're going to need a drink in the AM! We'll see what they look like then but it will be really hard for me to let them go another day, if I have to...
You should see mine. This afternoon it was 102 degrees and 90% of my plants looked like they had died. But in the morning they will be all perky again and if not they get to go swimming. Have you ever gone outside in the heat and had sweat pouring off of you but you weren't thirsty?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I NEVER go outside when it is this hot out there! :D

The soil is feeling dryer than its ever been - I will see what they look like in the AM and go from there. I didn't use my moisture gauge today but perhaps as the sun goes down I will, just to see what it says.

Nevertheless, I was most definitely over-watering everything! Glad I didn't kill them!!!

Thank you, Sir!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
4:40 AM we're getting a bit of rain! Cray-cray timing huh?

[EDIT 5:15 AM] Oh well, just a sprinkle. Probably enough to get the pants through another day...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
4:40 AM we're getting a bit of rain! Cray-cray timing huh?

[EDIT 5:15 AM] Oh well, just a sprinkle. Probably enough to get the pants through another day...
It rained here about 1 AM. Not enough to get the ground muddy an inch deep. I will probably have to water squash and cantaloupes today. I watered peppers 5 days ago so I won't have to water them.

Ask a Question