Chuck - Hot Pepper questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck - does your watering advise apply to my location too?
It applies everywhere. A plant can only uptake x amount of water and by watering too often the soil stays saturated and becomes oxygen depleted. This is why good drainage is important. You cannot over water a plant with too much water but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often thereby keeping the soil oxygen depleted and causing all sorts of bad things.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was talking more about watering once in every 7 to 10 days. I wondered if drying out that much between watering is what you meant? I think the containers would be very dry by that time and wondered if the plants will survive that? My plants are looking very healthy and even the leggy plants are filling out.

Truth is, I was surprised how fast the ground does dry out here, even in the high humidity! It actually starts cracking something like one might expect in a dessert. I don't know if the water just rolls off the clay or it drains down through it very fast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was talking more about watering once in every 7 to 10 days. I wondered if drying out that much between watering is what you meant? I think the containers would be very dry by that time and wondered if the plants will survive that? My plants are looking very healthy and even the leggy plants are filling out.

Truth is, I was surprised how fast the ground does dry out here, even in the high humidity! It actually starts cracking something like one might expect in a dessert. I don't know if the water just rolls off the clay or it drains down through it very fast.
Watering every 7-10 is about average for in the ground plants. Sandy soils will be different than clay soils for instance. Watering plants in containers is dependent on numerous factors, what material the container is made of, the temperature and wind, what is the growing medium and even what type of plant etc. Soils should dry out between waterings. I stress my plants when they are in bloom and only water after the plants show that they NEED water. I even go a couple of days past this point at times. But for the average home gardener if he will just stick his index finger into the soil about 2 inches deep he can basically tell if the plant SHOULD be watered. If your finger can feel moisture then the plant shouldn't be watered as there is still sufficient moisture for the plant to maintain growth. There is a big difference between NEED and SHOULD. A plant NEEDS water when the plant is droopy and wilted in the early AM hours say about 7 or 8 AM. In the afternoons wilting is not a factor. A plant SHOULD be watered when the soil about 2 inches deep is DRY. The roots of a plant are deeper than 2 inches so the root system of a plant under normal conditions should not be allowed to go dry. Does this make any sense to you? It's kind of hard to explain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Actually it seems very clear! I've never let them come close to drooping but I will start, today!

Thanks again!
That's not what I said. I said I stress mine and let them droop and wilt during times of blooming. This is mainly for tomatoes as most tomatoes have a set bloom time. This is when a plant needs to be watered, not when it should be watered. During normal times you water when you should, when the soil is DRY about 2 inches deep. And when you water, really water, saturate all of the soil until water stands on top.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Gotcha! Bottom line is I've probably been watering too often.
I don't know why but just about everyone does. I read somewhere that there are more plants killed each year from overwatering than from all diseases combined. Just think about it. Does it rain every day? Does all of the earth's soil stay muddy? If not then why do we think that we have to keep everything sopping wet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My greatest watering challenge is understanding how fast the ground or cotainer soil dries out even in the high humidity! In Arizona container vegetables get watered, every day, or the container will feel like it weighs ounces - bone dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My greatest watering challenge is understanding how fast the ground or cotainer soil dries out even in the high humidity! In Arizona container vegetables get watered, every day, or the container will feel like it weighs ounces - bone dry.
Yep, low humidity and high temps literally suck the moisture out of the soil. There is no fast rule as to how often to water as everyones soil and conditions are different. Just remember that there is no such thing as too much water but there is such a thing as water too often. I have tried different moisture meters but no two of them will show the same thing so I just use the old standard measuring tool, my finger. And you should keep in mind just where the roots of your plants are. Depending on the plant, most plants roots are fairly deep, probably around 4-6 inches deep so if the soil is dry at 2 inches at 6 inches it is still moist. So, to make your plants roots go deeper in search of moisture and nutrients, every so often let the top of the soil dry to 3 inches. It just takes a lot of trial and error to know when to water but it is better to water less often than more often in most cases.

Containers are another problem for many gardeners. Containers are mostly made of plastic or clay and some of the plastic containers look just like clay containers. You have to water more often in a clay container than in a plastic container because water evaporates through the sides of a clay pot plus the top but the amount of water you use at one time stays the same. Complete saturation of all the soil whether it be plastic, clay or in the ground.

Then there are the people who water a little every day. They think that watering enough to keep the plant from wilting is enough water. They go out and water their lawn or tomato plant enough to get the soil on top muddy and think that is plenty, It's not. Enough water should be put down to make it muddy at least 6 inches deep. They always say that watering deep is a waste of water, that there is nothing there to water, no roots no nothing so why bother. The reason to water is because you want roots to be there. Deep strong roots enable the plants to produce more and in the case of lawn grass make the grass much healthier and thicker. It is a fact that a deeply and correctly watered lawn actually uses about the same amount of water but the end product is much better and less expensive than an incorrectly watered lawn. Well, that's my rant about watering today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What would make the growing tip leaves of hot pepper plants turn dark green and appear to be stunted or shriveling up, but not shriveling up - - almost a little curling kinda?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What would make the growing tip leaves of hot pepper plants turn dark green and appear to be stunted or shriveling up, but not shriveling up - - almost a little curling kinda?
Most of the time it is caused by big weather changes such as low to very high humidity, low morning temps to really high afternoon temps etc. It can also be caused by over fertilization. In any event it doesn't seem to cause any loss of production. In a really unusual scenario it could be some type of virus but that would be very unusual. The plant usually outgrows this but keep an eye on it anyway. Most of my peppers have distorted curling leaves too. Mostly on the new to middle growth. It disappeared on the old growth as it got older.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Definitely have been over watering my container plants. Bought a moisture gauge - haven't watered for 2 full days in very hot temps. Moisture gauge says soil still moist and plants look fine.

Tangentially, one Ghost pepper pod looks very light green when I would be expecting it to start turning red. I cannot find any explanation is Google. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Definitely have been over watering my container plants. Bought a moisture gauge - haven't watered for 2 full days in very hot temps. Moisture gauge says soil still moist and plants look fine.

Tangentially, one Ghost pepper pod looks very light green when I would be expecting it to start turning red. I cannot find any explanation is Google. Any ideas?
Just be patient

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
HAHAHAha that is like an oxymoron for me! :D

Just went out there and one plant was wilting so I watered it - I am sure a few others will catch up by end of day.

I'll be patient! ;)
Only water if the plant is droopy or wilted in the AM. If it isn't wilted in the AM it DOES NOT NEED WATER.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If is was droopy now (2:52 PM), I wait to water?
Wait. It is super hot outside and the plants transpiration has stopped. It's supposed to wilt in this kind of heat. It will take some of your plants longer to wilt than others. Some plants may not wilt at all. Only in the AM do you decide to water or not.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wait. It is super hot outside and the plants transpiration has stopped. It's supposed to wilt in this kind of heat. It will take some of your plants longer to wilt than others. Some plants may not wilt at all. Only in the AM do you decide to water or not.
Will do!

Ask a Question