Cherry Tomato plant in San Francisco

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi i'd like to know if I can have some help with growing a cherry tomato plant in San Francisco California.

I found some info on the Climate and Average weather of where I live year around and it is:
In Pacifica, the summers are comfortable, arid, and mostly clear and the winters are short, cold, wet, windy, and partly cloudy. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 44°F to 67°F and is rarely below 37°F or above 76°F.

Can I first know, am I going through the right mental process to figure out how to take care of my cherry tomatoes plant (my thought was identifying the weather where I live).

and may I know is there any other things I should be having in mind as well?

thank you

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...Can I first know, am I going through the right mental process to figure out how to take care of my cherry tomatoes plant (my thought was identifying the weather where I live).

and may I know is there any other things I should be having in mind as well?

"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco." That quote was attributed to Mark Twain and having spent a week there in July I think he was right.

Yes, identifying the weather where you live is important as related to specific plants. Tomatoes love heat...but not too much. Over 90 deg. F, they don't set fruit. Likewise, below 55 deg. F, they don't set fruit.

Other things to have in mind include soil: Tomato plants needs sandy loam soil that drains well and soil pH range of 6.0 to 6.8. They also need full sun conditions every day including a minimum of 6 hours per day during growth and about 10 hours per day during fruiting.

The internet has virtually unlimited info on growing tomatoes...but your best info source is probably to find someone local who grows them and ask them for advice. You just can't beat local knowledge. Good luck!

Ask a Question