Chain sawing wet conifer roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is what we planned to do if no-one could make any suggestions.
Used the chain saw this morning to cut up some logs. The chain which would not cut the root went through the dry logs like a hot knife through butter.
What kind of tree is this? Usually a wet tree/substance is easy to cut.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Conifer as it says in the title. Never found any wet wood easy to cut. We usually had to store logs under cover for them to dry out before cutting to length for use in the wood burner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Conifer as it says in the title. Never found any wet wood easy to cut. We usually had to store logs under cover for them to dry out before cutting to length for use in the wood burner.
Has this stump/tree been cut down for a long time?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have just the fellow to hire.
garden boy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You probably have a round tooth homeowner chain on the saw. These have a depth of feed limit gauge or raker that is also related to the combo of the quantity of teeth, and
treefalling-sharpening-chainsaw-chain-angles-l-25527501221aa340.jpg
the shape of the cutting tooth. The depth guide in front of the tooth can be lowered substantially, enlarging the chip size. Since you are complaining of no bite, it is reasonable to make or buy a chain to your purpose. You make your own if you grind down the rakers. Chain are available called full chisel, and are the most aggressive. I suspect an easier chain is the semi-chisel as a round file is used on the gullet making the tooth angles easier to access when a flat file is used on the chisel face of the cutting edge.

If you want to buy one, look for a semi chisel, full skip chain. The missing teeth actually allow the chips to clear better. It is a rougher cut, and chisels generally increase kickback so stay clear.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have a chain sharpening gadget which works very well.
The tree was cut down about a month ago and we have had a lot of rain since then.
Managed to deal with one of the roots by drilling 1/2 inch holes down words then joining them up by drilling horizontally across them. That gave me enough of a gap to use the axe to split the root until it was small enough to saw with my pruning saw.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It seems as if the tree doesn't know it has been cut down and the roots are still trying to pump water upwards. I'll bet this will soon stop and the roots will become normal again, especially if it stops raining for a bit. Also, diesel fuel is a great tree killer and if mixed 50/50 with molasses doesn't harm the soil.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Well the bits I cut off with the axe this afternoon were soggy to say the least. And the holes I drilled filled up with water as I drilled them.
Had to keep taking my pruning saw out of the cut and picking out bits of wet wood from the teeth before it would do any more cutting.
Had to stop as my back was screaming in agony by then.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well the bits I cut off with the axe this afternoon were soggy to say the least. And the holes I drilled filled up with water as I drilled them.
Had to keep taking my pruning saw out of the cut and picking out bits of wet wood from the teeth before it would do any more cutting.
Had to stop as my back was screaming in agony by then.
I have never tried to dig up a fresh cut tree stump. I would wait a couple of months before trying again. Transpiration in deciduous tree slows to almost nothing in the fall and winter, but, in a conifer, it doesn't and this is what is happening. The limbs and leaves/needles haven't been removed long enough for the roots to stop trying to pump water to them. I would guess it will be spring before it stops completely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It seems as if the tree doesn't know it has been cut down and the roots are still trying to pump water upwards. I'll bet this will soon stop and the roots will become normal again, especially if it stops raining for a bit. Also, diesel fuel is a great tree killer and if mixed 50/50 with molasses doesn't harm the soil.
I will require an explanation on this 5050 of course.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It's really simple. The molasses restores the microbes killed by the diesel. It doesn't take much time either. It is what hay farmers use to rid new fields of mesquite.
I have been interested in the organic implications of organic fuels vs synthetic additives. I was enthralled to learn gasoline was considered a organic fuel vs "highly refracted" distillates. .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have been interested in the organic implications of organic fuels vs synthetic additives. I was enthralled to learn gasoline was considered a organic fuel vs "highly refracted" distillates. .
All I know about synthetic oil for autos is that it is made from refined base oil. I suppose you could say gasoline is organic because it is made from what once was carbon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
You may be astonished to learn that by drilling holes in the root I wanted out and then using the chain saw across the holes, I have managed to remove the amount of root we wanted. I can now fill the 'crater' and the roots left in will be at least 9 inches below the soil.
That seems to be the way ahead for any of the other roots I want out, Drill and then saw (after cleaning off any soil etc. ).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You may be astonished to learn that by drilling holes in the root I wanted out and then using the chain saw across the holes, I have managed to remove the amount of root we wanted. I can now fill the 'crater' and the roots left in will be at least 9 inches below the soil.
That seems to be the way ahead for any of the other roots I want out, Drill and then saw (after cleaning off any soil etc. ).
Great! Another example of WHATEVER WORKS

Ask a Question