Catching Moles

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
How can I chase away moles in my garden? They have been destroying my plants for six months now. They like eating cassava and potatoes. Is there a poison to kill them or I will have to trap them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have cassava crop and I'm glad there are no moles around. All I know about moles are those I see in the Bugs Bunny cartoon where they pull the carrots under the ground so when Bugs would pick his carrot, he would be surprised that there is no more carrot in the stem. I'm sorry if I have no advice about the moles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My sister's whole backyard was destroyed by moles and she lives in California. I think they used some sort of chemicals to get rid of the moles, after they called the city for help without success. Since you have potatoes growing, chemicals spray will contaminate your food supplies.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have them in our yard also but I have not tried to get rid of them yet. I just see large mounds of dirt to let me know they are there. I do not have a garden this year so the damage is just to the yard with the digging.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The moles in Britain only eat worms and soil insects, they do not eat roots. Possibly when excavating they chew through any which get in their way, but they do not eat them.
We have tried every 'folk remedy' suggested over the years and not one of them has worked. We put scissor traps in the runs and trap the blighters.
Chemicals are banned in Britain, except for Professional use) so that is not an option for us.

Reaction score
The cat keeps the moles away from my in laws garden :) They don't seem to be as destructive in Europe as they seem to be in the Netherlands though, my in laws don't even worry about them. The cat keeps catching them, some he lets go other he just well... you know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh my! I feel your pain! I wish there was an easy way to get rid of these pesky creatures. My father and son have so many adventurous memories of all the moles through the years. It really is like a cat and mouse game or as mentioned Tom and Jerry Tale. I wish, I would have taken a picture of one of holes they filled this season. I swear, it looked like the size of a bear hole in hibernation. I literally gasped aloud upon seeing it for the first time. It sat along the forest line, surrounded by poison ivy. Yep, my dad got a bad case for awhile there. Usually, he is good about warning us all about its whereabouts, but his year, thanks to the mole problem, alas he felt the wrath for awhile.

P.S. Never heard of using car exhaust. Wonder if my dad has since he is so old school.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As much as I hate using chemicals I use Tomcat mole killer. it does work and its safe if your pets don't dig in the mole hills.
There another old trick to rid you yard of moles, it kind of gross but they say it works. follow your dog around and when he/she poops pick it right away and bury in the mole hole they say it will drive the mole away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There is a commercially made mole trap that they say works well. i have never used one but you might consider checking into that.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I am sure you will be able to get a mole trap from the store. On the funny side, we have traditional mole catchers in my country who do that for a living. Quite a spectacle seeing them with their catch.:D

Ask a Question