Groundhogs or moles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had an inkling that there is either or in my yard. But hadn't been able to confirm it until today. After I woke up this morning and let the dogs out I caught the dogs eating one. But it was too mangled to really tell which it is.

Yeah I could probably poison them and get rid of em. But Id like to avoid that if I can. So Id like to know if anyone in here has had any experience with those solar powered ultrasonic deterents. How well do they work if they work at all?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Could you upload a pic of what you have seen please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Moles are quite small, maybe 6-8" long, with dark gray velvety fur. You'd probably see evidence of their tunnels in your yard. Groundhogs are much bigger - larger and heavier built than a cat, dense coarse brown fur.
Could it have been a possum? Cat-sized, light gray fur, naked pink tail.

The methods for getting rid of them would be quite different, I think. Honestly if you're not having any issue with moles digging through your lawn, I wouldn't worry about it. I have raccoons, possums, skunks, groundhogs, rabbits, voles, mice...they're pretty ubiquitous even in urban areas.

I hate when the dogs kill a critter, (especially a skunk o_O) but it happens pretty rarely. If the dogs bark after dark and want to go out, I have a big flashlight and check the yard first before letting them out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do you live near a horse farm/ranch like I do? Rats are pretty common in areas like that. Even neighbors who leave their pets outside all night with a food bowl will bring in rats.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Get a medium size have a heart trap and set it in the yard. What ever it is can be transported once you catch it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I dont think you folks want to see a pic. It is absolutely unidentifiable. And I got rid of it before I went to bed.

I noticed the tunnels before I bought the place so I figured moles cause I didnt see any mounds. But hadnt seen anything until yesterday morning.

We live in town with only other houses around. I dont believe they caught a rat and it wasnt a rabbit. The legs and paws were all wrong. Im aware of the size difference. But being unaware of the breeding cycle of each I wasnt sure if it could have been a young groundhog or a large mole. Guestimate before they got ahold of him. Probably ten to twelve inches long.

One neighbor had said theyve had mole problems. And the other said groundhog problems. So I figured Id ask if there was much of a difference with dealing with them without traps. Anykind of trapping outside of your home is heavily regulated in city limits. Yeah i know. Its stupid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It's possible that you're seeing the tunnels of moles, but whatever your dogs killed was not what caused the tunnels, since moles (that I know of) don't get that big.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ground hogs make huge holes, moles make small ones like chipmunks.

Ask a Question