Eliminate Moles Without Traps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Has anyone had any success eliminating moles without the use of a mole trap? We have a small problem with moles in our yard. In the past, we have tried the Juicy Fruit gum trick to get rid of them, which did not help at all. I would prefer not to use traps if we can help it. Has anyone had any success with any other mole removal methods?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I've heard of people using Castor Bean plants, which contain castor oil, to deter them - but they are toxic to pets and would be for children too, so it's one of those things that you'd have to be wary of using if you have kids or pets to consider. Hopefully some others might have different suggestions that are more pet/child safe!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
flamethrower.jpg

Serve with broccoli and new potatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Although we do not have moles here, I understand the damage that moles can do to the garden. As I see on tv, they dig holes and eat plants particularly vegetables. With those acts, we can consider moles to be some kind of a pest and pests are hunted and eradicated by traps (do not use poison because it can affect your pets particularly if you have dogs).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
flamethrower.jpg

I don't recommend this but there are folks south of where I live that have a huge mole problem and they use what is called a Rodent Blaster which is a type of pear burner with which they pump propane into the mole tunnels and then blow them up. I am still amazed that there haven't been any Darwinism at work moments, at least that I am aware of anyway.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
a friend of mine has a device that sit's in the Garden ........They call him Whiskers (the cat!:ROFLMAO: ) No really he has a device that takes battery's & lets off a high pitch sound every 5 minutes or so He just call's it the mole scarier . & it seems to work quite well:) As from what I have seen they have all moved next door. I'm pleased for may mate as it seems to work but my Girlfriends Dad's lawn is now looking like a crazy golf Course:eek:! I'm getting worried to as I'm only across the road :whistle: ......:rolleyes:mmmmmmm maybe I should of asked for a pear burner for Christmas!!!!!!;)

Ps Just search sonic Mole scares on line if pear burners are not your thing!

Reaction score
flamethrower.jpg

Oh yeah, who can honestly say that they haven't thought of this at least once? :p I know I can't, lol. Very funny! For my in laws it's easier, because their cat actually likes to prey on those things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My sister lives in Southern California and she has mole problems in her yard last year. I believe she used moth balls to put down into the holes and as one time she used bleach and vinegar. Since she has little kid, she didn't want to use chemical in her yard, and I haven't heard her complaint anymore about moles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My sister lives in Southern California and she has mole problems in her yard last year. I believe she used moth balls to put down into the holes and as one time she used bleach and vinegar. Since she has little kid, she didn't want to use chemical in her yard, and I haven't heard her complaint anymore about moles.

Bleach, vinegar and mothballs all contain chemicals. :rolleyes:

And as chuck points our mixing bleach and vinegar creates chlorine gas which can cause permanent lung damage and even death. So I hope your sister is keeping her children away from her any mixture of the two.

Never had an issue with moles but think I've read that eliminating their main food source - grubs - is one approach?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
teddy & Phantom.JPG
Yep, Cats. and here are two of them. Phantom on the left and Teddy on the right. Yep, and they are brothers from the same mother. Phantom can sometime be known to go two houses up the street in the field looking for mice etc. One day I noticed him in the field behind the house two doors up. And I knew, new people had just moved in, so, not to have issues with some person calling the SPCA, I knocked on the door. The new neighbor answered, I said, see the black and white cat in the field behind your house, he belongs to me, and will return home. she said, with a rather attitude voice--"We don't like cats". I said back to her "Well, he is catching any field mice he can find" . then of course her tone changed, "Oh, yes, he can stay". I just smiled and said "welcome to the neighborhood" . Turned and walked home, rolling my eyes. As, he is now older than that story, he hardly ventures to far off the 3 acres we have, and we have enough closer back woods to amuse him.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
South Africa
HI Prose, so I haven't actually tried this but I have seen it in yards around the community so maybe it does work...
They've constructed a kind of "vibration stick" which is supposed to cause vibration down the mole hole and therefore keep them from coming back.
Materials:
large empty soda bottle
wooden dowel
scissors
Method:
Cut "wings" into the sides of the soda bottle, to catch the wind
Place dowel deep into the mole hole.
Put soda bottle onto the dowel
If there is no wind manually spin it around for a while?
hqdefault.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bleach and vinegar? With kids around? Chlorine gas isn't something to mess around with

It wasn't as bad as you think and I should have explain more than that..They only sprayed using household bleach in the area where the moles pushed up and covered it back up with dirt. Same thing was done with the vinegar while the kid was either inside the house or away for play dates! They won't put their son in jeopardy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sorry I do not know how to get rid of moles humanly. We have tried the mole stake that you put in the ground and it is supposed to send off a noise that they do not like and then it will make them leave. It did not work at all! We tried a lot of different things to make them leave, but eventually had to use the smoke bombs to get rid of them.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
You will have to gas the moles if you don't want to use traps. You'll need to be extra careful while handling poisonous gasses. But for me I prefer using traps since they pose no danger to humans. I once filled the mole holes with water, when they came out, I killed them using a rod.

Ask a Question