Carrots attract wasps!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wasps are nature's exterminators. Make friends with them and you won't have to treat for caterpillars or anything else. Lacewings and assassin bugs assassinate other bugs! Not to mention you will need those wasps to pollinate your carrot and other flowers if you expect to see fruit or seeds.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
R.R.:

I think I could grow some carrots, but then I read carrots attract: assassin bug, lacewing, parasitic wasp...

Some wasps are a nuisance but most are fantastic to have. Wasps pollinate flowers, and help control pests. Be sure to understand the different creatures in your garden.

Parasitic wasps are great to attract and have in your garden! :)

I know dill, fennel, caraway, and marigold will attract parasitic wasps, lacewings, and assassin bugs, so be sure to plant them. (y)

Last edited:

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
R.R.:

How do I make friends with wasps?

Provide them with the plants they love and some shelter (keep that old wooden fence in your backyard) :)

Parasitic wasps, they won't harm you.

Yellow Jackets are aggressive, they would be the ones you would want to relocate, but don't do it yourself, unless you have a bee suit... ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Parasitic wasps? Ugh, I hate those, aren't the ones that find a poor big spider or tarantula, hijack it by injecting something to it and then lay eggs inside the poor thing? Then they keep it dormant until their eggs start hatching inside the poor thing and those nasty things start devouring the poor thing from inside out while it's still alive. Yep, I hate those as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We had planted carrots twice and we quit on carrots because our soil seems not to suit that particular vegetable. But I didn't notice that wasps like carrots. What I know of wasps, and we are having it once in a while until now, they love sugar apple. They would pierce a pinhole in the skin of the unripe sugar apple. When neglected, the ripened fruit would have worms inside. So what we do is spray insecticide on the entire sugar apple tree to drive away the wasps.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Flying bugs in your closed car can send you into a mental stay. I had to pull over once and pulled my car apart to find a bug that kept buzzing around.

Ask a Question