Carrots attract wasps!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I'm gardening this morning. I filled my first elevated garden bed and I'm ready to transplant some brassicas. As I'm looking at companion plants, I think I could grow some carrots, but then I read carrots attract: assassin bug, lacewing, parasitic wasp, yellow jacket and other predatory wasps. I'm afraid of wasps.

Do I really want to grow carrots? Has anyone had wasp problems when growing them?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Never known Carrots attract anything other than Carrot Fly and Rabbits :D

I'm afraid of Wasps too, one got in my car yesterday, I got straight out :eek:

Wish i'd stopped first

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm gardening this morning. I filled my first elevated garden bed and I'm ready to transplant some brassicas. As I'm looking at companion plants, I think I could grow some carrots, but then I read carrots attract: assassin bug, lacewing, parasitic wasp, yellow jacket and other predatory wasps. I'm afraid of wasps.

Do I really want to grow carrots? Has anyone had wasp problems when growing them?
I have never seen carrots attract anything. The only insect you listed above that might mess with you is the yellow jacket and if you don't mess with his nest he won't mess with you. He is also a caterpillar eating machine. And soon it will be too cold for any insects anyway so don't worry about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Why would wasps like carrots?o_O It doesn't make any sense to me. If I were you, I'd take the risk, R.R. Carrots are yummy and healthy:) I don't grow them, but my grandparents do, and I've never seen any wasps in their garden.

Reaction score
Wasps and yellow jackets like to eat sweet things, meat, and caterpillars. I think that you will be safe if you treat any caterpillar infestation that may show up!

Reaction score
I had no idea that carrots attracted wasps. I've never found wasps around my carrots (but this is the first year I had substantial success growing carrots thanks to tips from Zigs), BUT my carrots are disguised.

The rabbits and deer eat the leafy tops off, so any wasp flying by wouldn't know they are there. Up until now I thought the rabbits and deer were the pests, now I know they were just keeping the wasps away.;)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That sodding wasp was still in the car, just nearly made me crash in the middle of town :eek: Suddenly few up straight at my face.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I would have too. Wasps are nasty creatures. When I was a child, one of them had hidden in my bed. It stung me three times! I thought I'm having a nightmare, but it was real:eek:

Reaction score
Most of the "bee stings" people get are from yellow jackets, which are not bees they really are WASPS!

Bees tend to ignore people who leave them alone. Bees care about honey and pollen, not people! Wasps are the mean ones!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I would have crashed the car, Zigs. I couldn't have kept my cool.

Nearly did, fortunately there was somewhere to pull over and go mental

Ask a Question