IMAG0047.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMAG0045.JPG
    IMAG0045.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 278
Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I am fascinated by this. In our area, we grow orange carrots and was not aware of purple carrots. I would like you to supply more information about the type of bags and the growth medium as well as the agronomic practices you have used since I am interested in this model.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am fascinated by this. In our area, we grow orange carrots and was not aware of purple carrots. I would like you to supply more information about the type of bags and the growth medium as well as the agronomic practices you have used since I am interested in this model.
I bought bags of garden soil ( I used Miracle Grow 'cause that's what our Walmart sells) the 2 ft. size, and planted the seeds ( bought from Harris Seed) directly in the bag ( just cut the top out, leaving the sides to hold the dirt. Other than that, I just left it alone in the sun to do whatever it wanted. In two months, this is what grew ( there are about 20 more in the garden still). This year was just an experiment, but it seems to be a workable model for this area of rocky soil and cold temperatures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Those are great! I grew purple carrots once but was disappointed they turned regular orange when cooked. They were still good sweet carrots though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Those are great! I grew purple carrots once but was disappointed they turned regular orange when cooked. They were still good sweet carrots though.
I did the purple ones because their maturity date was shorter and they didn't get as long as regular carrots. They are delicious!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I seen your post, I had the impression that you meant like actual Wal-Mart type bags! I will definitely be attempting this as our soil is extremely rocky! Did you apply any type of Miracle Grow to the carrots, or no since it was the Miracle Grow soil? I seen the pictures you posted, but what would you say the size of the carrots ended up being?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I seen your post, I had the impression that you meant like actual Wal-Mart type bags! I will definitely be attempting this as our soil is extremely rocky! Did you apply any type of Miracle Grow to the carrots, or no since it was the Miracle Grow soil? I seen the pictures you posted, but what would you say the size of the carrots ended up being?
Yes, I did mean actual Wal-Mart type bags. We did not add any fertilizer this year, but will next year since it is only rated to feed for three months. I pulled some of the carrots at about 5 inches, but there are still some in the bag, so I don't know how big they will be able to grow. I will keep you posted....

Ask a Question