Canning: Do you do it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I haven't done it. My daughter and I have been contemplating on doing this, but never got around to it. But this year will be the year that we actually do some canning. We're pretty good at freezing vegetables from the garden, and that's cool and everything, but I want to learn a new skill and teach my kids a new skill as well. I remember my grandparents used to "put away" food for the winter and there's nothing like opening a can of garden fresh tomatoes in the winter time.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
we don't can vegetables, instead we let it dry in the shadow and store the dried vegetables. When ever we have surplus produce, we dry it first and then store in an air-tight container which will be used during the time when we don't have any vegetables in the garden of it is the off season for the produce.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I was younger my parents had a beautiful garden filled with all sorts of yummy food. My mother loved to can her vegetables for use throughout the year. I remember the counter loaded down with jars of Tomatoes, Corn, and other good eats. Does anyone else can the veggies they get from their garden? I have yet to attempt it, but I am highly considering buying a pressure cooker and giving it a go.
I can every year. This morning my mother and I canned 13 jars of kraut. In two weeks it will be ready to eat. For my other veggies I can using both the pressure canner and the water bath method.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
28 July 2015 Dinner →
Cucumber Juice
Posted on July 28, 2015 by Durgan
http://www.durgan.org/2015/July%202015/28%20July%202015%20Cucumber%20Juice/HTML/ 28 July 2015 Cucumber Juice
Excess cucumbers, plus some large tomatoes, some grapes tomatoes ,green pepper was made into 11 liters of juice. Total weight was about 16 pounds.The produce was pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for storage. Pictures depict the process.
dsc_537628%20july%202015%20cucumber%20juice_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Yukon Gold Potato →
Gooseberry Juice
Posted on July 20, 2015 by Durgan
http://www.durgan.org/2015/July%202015/20%20July%202015%20Gooseberry%20Juice/HTML/ 20 July 2015 Gooseberry Juice
Nine pounds of European gooseberries were picked from my one bush and processed into six liters of juice. A few American berries were picked and added.The berries were cooked until soft, then beat into a slurry, strained through a 2 mm mesh food mill, then placed in liter jars and pressure cooked at 15 PSI for 15 Minutes for storage. They were picked because some started to fall off the bushes. Color change is minimal with this fruit,but they get sweet and a bit soft when ripe.
dsc_489320%20july%202015%20%20gooseberry%20juice_std.jpg

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged Gooseberry Juice. Bookmark the permalink. Edit

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
26 August 2015 Onion Celery Juice

http://www.durgan.org/2015/August%202015/26%20August%202015%20Onion%20Celery%20Juice/HTML/ 26 August 2015 Onion Celery Juice
Thirty pounds of onions and ten pounds of celery was made into 14 liters of juice.The perfect onions were washed and quartered and added to the celery in the cooking pot. Ten liters of water was added to the pot.Material was cooked until soft about 20 minutes and blended into a homogeneous slurry.The slurry was strained through a Victorio food mill. Th residue of the food mill was put through a Champion Juicer to extract all nutrients.The juice was then placed on liter jars and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes.
dsc_671026%20august%202015%20onion%20celery%20juice_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Black Current Processing
Posted on July 21, 2014 by Durgan
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ACKRG 21 July 2014 Black Currant. Processing for Juice.
Six pounds of perfect berries were harvested from one black current bush. The method of harvesting was to cut off the fruit beating branches and take them to the picnic table and remove the berries by swiping across a one inch mesh screen. This method effectively prunes the bush and efficiently removes the berries. Currants are tedious to pick if the berries are removed individually, so removing the bearing branches and swiping across a mesh is ideal. The berries were washed, covered with water, beat into a slurry, screened through a food mill, placed in one liter jars and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. Pictures depict the process.
URL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
18 September 2015 Pumpkin Juice
Posted on September 18, 2015 by Durgan
http://www.durgan.org/2015/September%202015/18%20September%202015%20Pumpkin%20Juice/HTML/index.htm 18 September 2015 Pumpkin Juice
One 20 pound pumpkin was purchased locally,many pumpkins are grown in the area,and processed into 18 liters of juice. Each liter contains one pound of pumpkin.Process was to remove seeds, which were processed separately into a paste, cut into small pieces, cover with water, and cooked until soft about 20 minutes, then blend into a homogeneous slurry. The slurry was put through a food mill 2mm mesh to strain. The strained juice was placed in liter jars and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes.There is very Little residue from the process, and straining is probably not necessary.
dsc_739718%20september%202015%20pumpkin%20juice_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
4 September 2015 Pear Juice
Posted on September 4, 2015 by Durgan
http://www.durgan.org/2015/September%202015/4%20September%202015%20Pear%20Juice/HTML/index.htm 4 September 2015 Pear Juice
Forty pounds, a bushel, of purchased pears,$25.00, were allowed to ripen for four days and made into 37 liter jars of pressure canned juice. The stem of the pear was pulled off and the fruit cut into quarters to facilitate cooking.Water was added to the pot to cover the pears. Two batches of 20 pounds each was required. The pears were cooked until soft about 20 minutes, then blended into a homogeneous slurry. The slurry was strained through a food mill with a mesh of 2mm to remove all extraneous material. The residue of the food mill was put through a Champion Juicer to extract all nutrients.The strained juice was placed in liter jar and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage without refrigeration.Pictures depict the processing.
dsc_70294%20september%202015%20pear%20juice_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can every year. This morning my mother and I canned 13 jars of kraut. In two weeks it will be ready to eat. For my other veggies I can using both the pressure canner and the water bath method.
I tried out my new Nesco dehydrator today. I dried some bananas, ginger and turmeric. I worked very well. I can't wait for my garden so I'll have lots to dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I want to but am afraid of doing it wrong and getting my family sick. right now I freeze and just thaw out when needed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Method is to slurry pressure can any and all necessary vegetables. A liter or two is consumed daily. It is large potion my diet.
About 400 liter jars are preserved from my garden and some purchased from local farmers in the best growing area in Canada at the peak of he growing season. Over the years I have preserved several thousand liter jars and never had one spoil.

My method is unique and as far a I knw the only person using it. Cook, strain, and pressure can at 15 PSI for 15 minutes is the basis of the system. It is all documented here. http://durgan.org/2011/ Journal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I was young my mother canned a lot of things, from tomatoes, green beans, field peas, fruit, even potatoes. I did some canning after I got married but sort of fell away from it later. I am starting again. I do have a problem though. I haven't found a canner that is compatible with my ceramic top range. I would like a pressure canner since it is more versatile. Does anyone know if they make a counter top pressure canner that plugs in instead of being on the stove, similar to the Instapots that are popular?

Ask a Question