Canning: Do you do it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I was younger my parents had a beautiful garden filled with all sorts of yummy food. My mother loved to can her vegetables for use throughout the year. I remember the counter loaded down with jars of Tomatoes, Corn, and other good eats. Does anyone else can the veggies they get from their garden? I have yet to attempt it, but I am highly considering buying a pressure cooker and giving it a go.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I live on my 500 liter jars of canned produce. http://durgan.org/2011/ all here.
Garden , local farmers etc. Pressure can most, but use dehydration,root cellar, freezing a little. grease storage, now lacto-fermentation.and utilize fresh in our short season.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow really!? That is awesome that you are able to live off of your produce. I haven't even thought of dehydration, but now that I remember it lol, I will most certainly take advantage of it in the case of dried fruits. I eat those by the Dozen as it is already, and I spend a ton buying them from the grocery stores, especially for the really good ones. It does seem like a healthier, more budget friendly, way to get my dried fruits by doing it myself. Any suggestions on a good dehydrator that is inexpensive and easy to use?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I used to ignore this kind of thread because canning is not on our menu. But with our recent harvest of bananas that had more than 200 pieces, we are now thinking of ways to preserve bananas. Making into chips is not a good idea because we were not successful. Now if canning or preserving in bottles is viable then maybe we can do that in our next harvest sometime in April. For now, we just giveway most of the bananas to neighbors and friends and leave a cluster or 2 for our consumption.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I've never done it - but it's something that I endeavour to do one day. Self sufficiency really interests me, and I've been reading a few books about it -- on how to can things and how to grow more, Reading posts on this forum gives me inspiration too. I feel like self sufficiency can seem overwhelming though - I'm just a beginner so I'm just dipping my toe in the water, so to speak.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Wow really!? That is awesome that you are able to live off of your produce. I haven't even thought of dehydration, but now that I remember it lol, I will most certainly take advantage of it in the case of dried fruits. I eat those by the Dozen as it is already, and I spend a ton buying them from the grocery stores, especially for the really good ones. It does seem like a healthier, more budget friendly, way to get my dried fruits by doing it myself. Any suggestions on a good dehydrator that is inexpensive and easy to use?

I have a 9 tray Excalibur from day one. http://www.amazon.ca/Excalibur-3900B-9-Tray-Deluxe-Dehydrator/dp/B004Z915M4

Works fine. I use it now and then, but prefer other preservation methods.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I've canned since we got married--I was probably the only bride that had a water bath canner on her suggested gift list! It's a great way to preserve your harvest, plus you know just what went into the food, and the jar. I have a pressure canner which I use occasionally, but I freeze many vegetables like broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, etc. since the texture is more palatable to us.

Reaction score
I don't can right now, since I grow nothing, but soon when I go back to the Netherlands (and settle there for good) I will surely try to grow a lot stuff over there :) I plan to start dehydrating things, then learn how to can vegetables.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't can right now, since I grow nothing, but soon when I go back to the Netherlands (and settle there for good) I will surely try to grow a lot stuff over there :) I plan to start dehydrating things, then learn how to can vegetables.
One of the most helpful books on canning is called Putting Food By, authored by Janet Greene, Ruth Hertzberg and Beatrice Vaughan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never done it. Currently, I can't afford buying a pressure cooker or anything like that. But I plan to make pickles:) As far as I know, it's quite easy and they're delicious:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My mom used to can all the time when I was a kid. She made these amazing cinnamon pickle things I loved to snack on. Unfortunately, due to divorce and a move to the city, she hasn't had the time or space. After I moved in with her I insisted on a food garden, but it's too small to really meet our needs. It works for now, with occasional fresh produce, but not enough to can. When I get a place with a yard large enough for a garden that gives us the produce we need, I will can. And I will make cinnamon pickles!

Ask a Question