First Attempt at Pressure Canning

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
My 2 doz. x 16 oz Ball Mason canning jars arrived on Saturday, to complement the high-domed 10l pressure vessel I recently bought.

Anyway, I made a medium-sized batch of home-grown (apart from the oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper) vegetarian pasta sauce, with tomatoes, peppers, onions, courgettes (zucchini), garlic, basil and oregano.
Had it for dinner, really enjoyed it, then filled 3 of the jars with what remained, let it steam for some time and then pressure canned it for 20 mins @ 15psi.
All went smoothly; the seals seem excellent, the produce looks undamaged.
Many thanks to Durgan for his patient advice. (I'm sure I'll need more!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
For preserving all vegetables and fruits, it is impossible to improve on Pressure Canning. The pressure canner is my extra arm. I as just counting my liter jars for 2017. There are 192 liters in sixteen boxes of 12 each. I still have concord grapes, apples, pears, and possibly elderberries to can when they come into season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My 2 doz. x 16 oz Ball Mason canning jars arrived on Saturday, to complement the high-domed 10l pressure vessel I recently bought.

Anyway, I made a medium-sized batch of home-grown (apart from the oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper) vegetarian pasta sauce, with tomatoes, peppers, onions, courgettes (zucchini), garlic, basil and oregano.
Had it for dinner, really enjoyed it, then filled 3 of the jars with what remained, let it steam for some time and then pressure canned it for 20 mins @ 15psi.
All went smoothly; the seals seem excellent, the produce looks undamaged.
Many thanks to Durgan for his patient advice. (I'm sure I'll need more!)
Best thing I ever learned from my mom. Pressure canning is a must do when one has excess produce. I have two 22 1/2 quart cookers and many times both are in use.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Best thing I ever learned from my mom. Pressure canning is a must do when one has excess produce. I have two 22 1/2 quart cookers and many times both are in use.
Pictures please of all and sundry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Pictures please of all and sundry.
You want pictures of my pressure canners? How about my food mills? Food processor? Puree/meat grinder? How about case upon case of canning jars too?Dehydrator? Ask and you shall receive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
You want pictures of my pressure canners? How about my food mills? Food processor? Puree/meat grinder? How about case upon case of canning jars too?Dehydrator? Ask and you shall receive.
I would love all.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@headfullofbees

pressure canned it for 20 mins @ 15psi.

Sorry for my ignorance. Do you have to buy something else to can this @15psi? I thought you boiled the things and can or jar them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
@headfullofbees

pressure canned it for 20 mins @ 15psi.

Sorry for my ignorance. Do you have to buy something else to can this @15psi? I thought you boiled the things and can or jar them.
I'm a novice, so would be grateful if either Chuck or Durgan would correct me where I'm wrong:
The idea is to use pressure to both expel air using special cans with two part lids, and to raise the boiling point of water in the pressure vessel, to kill all pathogens, and to hugely lengthen the life of preserved food.
Often the pressure vessel is huge, almost 5 UK gals. into which these jars are put.
Different pressures and canning times can be used for different produce in order to make sure it's safe, but I have taken Durgan's advice on using a default 15 mins for liquid only produce, but raising this if there are still solids involved.
The larger pressure vessels tend to have a pressure valve, whereby applied heat can be adjusted to raise or lower the pressure, but, because I want to keep it simple, I bought a pressure vessel which has a chimney, onto which a pressure release valve, which lets off pressure above 15psi, and which again should raise the temp enough to kill all pathogens.
Perhaps in years to come, if and when I become more adept at pressure canning, I may wish to move up to larger, more expensive equipment, but it all has to be imported from North America, and I'd probably be cheaper arranging a visit to the US or Canada when the time comes, such is the expense.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
If canned material is subjected to 240F for a few minutes all human harmful material is made harmless. This is achieved practically by using a pressure canner which operates at 15 PSI for a selected time. The industry and university pundits have unnecessarily complicated the procedure to the detriment of the public at large. For example, Pressure canning on the home front is almost unheard of in the UK.

Safe pressure canning is almost effortless. I literally do some type or canning almost daily in season.

Pressure cooking also has advantages and only practice makes perfection.

My preserving operation is 15 PSI for 15 minutes operating on a homogeneous mixture in slurry/juice form. Trying to keep canned goods fresh in appearance is a waste of time. I strive for nutritious food for long term storage at room temperature and am SUCCESSFUL.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would love all.
This is all of my food preservation stuff that I can think of.
The first picture is of my two pressure canners. The one on the left is a Presto and the other is a Mirro. They both have pros and cons. The Presto is faster to reach pressure. It is more precise. You have to watch it to make sure it doesn't build up more pressure than you want. It can't blow up but it can make what you are canning turn to mush. The Mirro is a much heavier unit. It is very simple and fool proof. It comes with a weight that is set for 5,10 and 15 lbs. Say you want to can a bunch of dried pinto beans. Just put your jars of beans into the unit, lock down the lid and wait until a steady stream of steam comes out of the hole where the weight is to be placed. When the unit is ready place the weight on the lid and wait for the weight to start jiggiling. When it does start to jiggle that means it has reached 15 lbs of pressure. Look at your clock and set it for 80 minutes later. Come back in 80 minutes and turn off the heat. No muss, no fuss with the Mirro. For canning only I prefer the Mirro but many folks like to cook things in their pressure cooker and the Presto wins hands down on that
The second picture is of my food mills. For small amounts, say under 10 lbs, I will use, depending on what it is, one of the two on the left. For a lot, say 75 lbs of tomatoes the mill on the far right. One bad thing about it is that you should reprocess the skins of the tomatoes two more times to get all of the meat from the skins. It only takes a couple of minutes.. The only time I ever use the small holed plate is when my grand daughter comes and wants fresh baby food for her brood.
Picture three is of my blancher, hot water bath canner and the old trusty food processor. I only use the blancher for stuff I am going to freeze such as brocolli, cauliflower and all types of greens. I only use the water bath canner for small amounts. Most of the time I use the Mirro pressure canner but with only boiling water and no pressure. And the food processor. When preparing something like saurkraut, chow chow or anything finely chopped or shredded its a big time saver.
The fourth picture is of my dehydrator and puree/meat grinder. I like to dehydrate my peaches and pears and sometimes even tomatoes. The meat grinder/puree maker is also a huge time saver. I kill numerous deer and hogs during the year and that machine makes short work out of making sausage or making hamburger meat. Throw in 20 lbs of peeled pitted peaches and almost instant puree which is terrific in homemade icecream.
The last picture is just a few things I grabbed from the pantry. There is some mayacabo beans, some tomato sauce, some hot salsa, some homemade cranberry sauce, a jar of green beans, some carrots and a jar of dill pickles.
All in all canning is very easy and safe. Folks have heard of canning nightmares where the canner blew up and of getting botulism poisoning. I suppose it is possible if one were canning and suddenly went brain dead. There is an easily found book named Putting Food By. It details everything you need to know about canning and a host of other things as well.
002.JPG
003.JPG
006.JPG
008.JPG
121.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Pretty neat. I have similar.

I only use liter jars. Dehydrate to vacuum packed powder but don't use it much. I use many grains in a gruel, and soy every day usually as tempeh. My juices are consumed daily and for fresh I use spouted lentils daily mixed with the juice. Lentils are cheap and always sprout in about 48 hours. My meat consumption is almost nil. Fresh off season vegetables are potatoes, garlic, onions in root cellar. And of course for the two months of Summer use all the fresh fruits and vegetables available. For all practical purposes seldom purchase commercial prepared food. Even with my small garden I have much excess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Pretty neat. I have similar.

I only use liter jars. Dehydrate to vacuum packed powder but don't use it much. I use many grains in a gruel, and soy every day usually as tempeh. My juices are consumed daily and for fresh I use spouted lentils daily mixed with the juice. Lentils are cheap and always sprout in about 48 hours. My meat consumption is almost nil. Fresh off season vegetables are potatoes, garlic, onions in root cellar. And of course for the two months of Summer use all the fresh fruits and vegetables available. For all practical purposes seldom purchase commercial prepared food. Even with my small garden I have much excess.
Here we only have 1/2 pints, pints, quarts and gallon jars. I use the 1/2 pints only on things that I will consume completely at one or two settings. Stuff like hot salsa, I normally takes me 2 days to finish 1/2 pint of that. If I used pints it would spoil before I finished it off. I can very little juices, maybe some wild grapes once in awhile.

Ask a Question