Canna transplant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I transplanted this yesterday, looks a lot worse than just transplant shock to me. Hopefully I am wrong. Will this make it? It was a good size bulb with plenty of roots. This morning it was bent over shop I propped it up.

20170609_171611.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@vette-kid Why didn't you wait till it has flowered? Just water it very well.. It certainly has sustained the transplanting shock. If it is robust enough and watered well, hopefully, it will survive..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, I guess i didn't realize that was a thing. Waiting until it flowered. But mostly, I had time of to do yard work and I needed to fill a gap there, and I needed to thin out the lilies. As long as the bulb will still come back next year I'm fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Vette-kid....is if dry there? Cannas need plenty of water even, esp, when transplanted. If hot and dry that would be difficult for cannas. Cannas will even grow in water
I have recently divided cannas and they usually do very well....without "transplant shock" .
I would also water well right now :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We had a LOT of rain the last week, so the soil is still moist. I did water them in a little, but not a full drenching. I will water them again today though.

My experience with canna is that they are very hardy. I have some in nearly complete shade and try do great (don't flower a lot, but otherwise tall and healthy), even shooting up from under a bush as they have spread.

I transplanted 5 or 6 that day and all of the others are looking great. Maybe I accidently damaged this one in the process? Bottom leaves still look good, and there is s little one shooting up that looks ok. I'll take your advice and water good and hope for the best.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes, they are hardy, especially here in Florida, spreads like a weed thru its rhizomes. There were some in yard waste left on the curb by my neighbor and I mulched them in my yard with no intention of growing them, just wanted them for mulch and now I have them growing all over the place; what's funny is that these things were just ripped out of the ground and I didn't even plant them or throw dirt over top of them, just put them in heavy mulch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just planted 3 in my bog yesterday when I got home. I had set them on top of the bog in their pots but forgot to plant them before I left, they were looking a little pooped when I got home, I'm going to check them tonight but fingers crossed they are good.

Ask a Question