Can you identify this for me please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

can someone identify this for me please with the red roots?

20230729_173628.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums Matt. That's a bit of a jumble there. I can see willow herb that has gone to seed, and a few brambles, but I'm trying to determine which leaves belong to the red stems. It could possibly be a honeysuckle. Can you track it to some decent leaves or flowers so we can have a better look?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums Matt. That's a bit of a jumble there. I can see willow herb that has gone to seed, and a few brambles, but I'm trying to determine which leaves belong to the red stems. It could possibly be a honeysuckle. Can you track it to some decent leaves or flowers so we can have a better look?
Thanks for the quick reply.

I will try and take a better picture tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I see a raspberry, I see a few thorns. I'd say it's a raspberry bush. It's smothered, clinging to life but it's a raspberry.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The leaves are odd. If it's not a raspberry it's some kind of berry bush I've never seen similar to a raspberry.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Is there a chance that could have been exposed to a herbicide, like round up or some kind of chemical? I did a research to see what can cause deformation in raspberry leaves and that turns out to be the most often cause. Between that and the plant being crowded I think that is deformed leaves on a raspberry plant. I found a couple good pics showing deformity in the leaves. One of a raspberry and one of a rose bush..

rasproundup519-opt-1b4l22x.jpg

This is the rose..

roseroundup7-11.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@pepper I think what you are looking at is the seed pods of the willow herb. It is a common wildflower in the UK and it could well belong to the plant in question. We won't know for sure unless the OP posts a better photo.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@pepper I think what you are looking at is the seed pods of the willow herb. It is a common wildflower in the UK and it could well belong to the plant in question. We won't know for sure unless the OP posts a better photo.

I could be wrong, but when I get into something like this pic I do it out of complete curiosity because I hate not knowing something that interests me lol. So I download the pics and drink a couple coffee's while playing with the picture using different techniques to change contrast, color etc to see it in different layers zooming in to make things stand out that is normally hard to see. Basically I'm a total nerd lol. If you zoom in on these different contrast pics you will see raspberries and thorns. But like I say I could be wrong, I will never say I am though without undoubtedly being proven wrong lol. Unfortunately I deleted the pics I had examined before but there are a couple quick examples of what I am referring to.

20230729_173628~5.jpg

20230729_173628~3.jpg

20230729_173628~4.jpg

20230729_173628~2.jpg

20230729_173628.jpg

20230729_173628~7.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Wild raspberry plants, they look identical to that but not as chocked out, much more healthy.

1062_2_Rosaceae_Rubus-idaeus_sjm178_Aug17-11_08_01_2019_6_38_26.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I’m pretty sure the plant in question is the Willowherb in front of the raspberry. It’s the one with the “red roots”, although they’re stems not roots.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@cpp gardener, I'm positive it is. I have been weeding it out of my flower beds in the past few days. It grows profusely here in the UK - as do blackberries. They are bountiful as well as we have had so much rain during this chilly ''summer'' I have enough blackberries here to make jam for the entire country I think. Blackberries seem to take over every space they can creep into without any help at all.
The hedgerows are alive with them and the birds do the rest.
The willow herb is always retained in our wild patch with the corncockles, poppies, toadflax and chicory etc.

PS I notice the OP hasn't been back at all - never mind :unsure:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
@cpp gardener, I'm positive it is. I have been weeding it out of my flower beds in the past few days. It grows profusely here in the UK - as do blackberries. They are bountiful as well as we have had so much rain during this chilly ''summer'' I have enough blackberries here to make jam for the entire country I think. Blackberries seem to take over every space they can creep into without any help at all.
The hedgerows are alive with them and the birds do the rest.
The willow herb is always retained in our wild patch with the corncockles, poppies, toadflax and chicory etc.

PS I notice the OP hasn't been back at all - never mind :unsure:

When I googled willowherb the pictures looked nothing like that, so that's why I figured it was a raspberry like the ones around it. But I googled it again and found a couple pics of willowherb that looks just like it.. after searching through hundreds of pics lol. So I guess I was looking at a different kind of willowherb at first. I hate starting something and not knowing the answer so I was doing it more for myself then the op lol. I'd say mystery solved and agree most likely is a willowherb.

Ask a Question