Something wrong with my aloe vera. Can you identify what are those black spots please?

Reaction score
Country
Israel
20221217_143036.jpg
20221217_143040.jpg
20221217_143045.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you watering enough, any pests? That looks like a pest. Maybe try bringing it indoors. Maybe caterpillars. are there any caterpillars native to your area? Bring it indoors is what I would suggest. Give it time, and check the soil. I would take off all the soil, repot, give it a new pot and new soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This appears to be a serious leaf spot disease and there are four pathogens of which it could be. Aloe vera Anthracnose, Curvularia Leaf Spot, Cladosporium Leaf Spot and Alternaria Leaf Spot. All are caused, at least partially, by too much water. I would do as @Plantguy advises. Remove ALL old soil by washing it away and getting a different pot. I would also thin out many of the plants and repot them separately. I would also remove ALL infected leaves and spray with fungicide.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Or just stop watering it so much. Once a month should suffice for growth and limit fungal infection issues. The fungi are not soil-borne so changing the soil does nothing helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Or just stop watering it so much. Once a month should suffice for growth and limit fungal infection issues. The fungi are not soil-borne so changing the soil does nothing helpful.

Sorry, but they are all soil borne except for Cladosporium and in some species, it is unknown how it is spread.

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Thank you very much everyone!
I will do exactly as you say:

1. replace soil
  2. stop watering it so much
  3. different pot
  4. thin out
  5. remove infected leaves
the only thing - i can't do is take it indoor - but i'll put it in a shaded place instead.

I hope it will do!
Will update in a month or two
thank you very much all again! you are gold!

Ask a Question