Please help me identify this plant in my mums garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My mum has asked me to help her identify this plant in her garden. It grew in about 2 week and it’s HUGE. She is not sure what it is, and whether it’s a weed or a plant.

It’s about 1.3m tall, with large leaves (some about 20-30cm long), quite spiky looking leaves too, with Almost thistle like balls on it. I would post a picture not I’m not entirely sure how.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A00A6AFD-4CF6-4A7C-85BD-AD656CB052EC.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks like Jimson Weed to me. Find out for sure as it is a lethally poisonous plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you! It has green stems? Is that relevant?
I don't think so. Some Jimson Weed has purplish flowers and purplish stems and some have green stems and white flowers. They are both poisonous. Take some to a nursery to find out for sure.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, agree, AKA Datura, people do grow it, it has nice white long bell like flowers which have a lovely scent in the evening / night. It can be lethal, but it is more hallucinatory in a most unpleasant way. Either way, treat with caution, you are probably better off without it.

Ask a Question