Can it be a problem to plant a cherry tree (stella) only 12 feet from another non fruit tree?

Red

Reaction score
Country
Norway
I have read that sweet cherry trees need around 30 feet spacing. I am not sure if that spacing is between fruit tree only or any tree. I have planted a grafted stella cherry tree about 12 feet from a non fruit tree but I am having second thoughts whether i have made a mistake by planting it too close?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
The only possible problem would be from the "nonfruit" tree shading out the Stella. This would be a particular problem if the non-fruit was a big shade tree to the south of the cherry.

You'll be fine.

I planted my Stella Cherry about 8' from a pear tree and 8' from a peach tree - they were all the same size when planted last year. This year I put in another cherry, pear, peach row a staggered 8 feet off last years row.

The commercial orchards around here are planting 6 to 8 feet apart inside the rows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A lot would depend on the other trees, the root mass of those trees and their need for water and soil conditions . A Willow tree has a massive root spread and an increadible demand for water , not so good for near by plants . On the other hand there are trees that need very little water .
Generally spacing is an ideal situation recommendation . My soil is gravely and i have to space plants further apart , where some one with a more dense and absorbant soil may be able to plant some crops closer than recommend

Ask a Question