Baby rubber plant problem? Bite? Torn?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've seen this occur in my pothos and spiderplants before too, and I've no idea whats causing it. Otherwise this plant is entirely healthy, it looks great. But for some reason this new leaf looks like its had a bite torn out of it? I've no critters that can reach this plant, so I know it wasn't my dog or cat. Any ideas as to what could have caused this? Or what this even is? Because it appears to be bitten or torn, but I know nothing could have done that soo.. I'm at a loss haha

IMG_1969.JPG
IMG_1970.JPG
IMG_1971.JPG
IMG_1972.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Canada
With the serrated edges of the leaf I would say either a mouse or a rat.
Hmm, that makes sense, but I don't think it could be a rat or mouse. I have a cat and she hasn't missed a single mouse that's made it's way into our house ahaha. Trust me, I've had to remove enough little mousy bodies to know. Although I'll keep this suggestion in mind! Maybe she missed one haha.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the leaf is malformed and so as it grows it tears. This can be found sometimes if the air around a plant is too dry, and it would be worth leaving a bowl of water in the vicinity to moisten things up a bit without any direct intervention to the plants.
Another reason for leaf distortion might be insects - keep a close watch under leaves where the little suckers could be hiding.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think the leaf is malformed and so as it grows it tears. This can be found sometimes if the air around a plant is too dry, and it would be worth leaving a bowl of water in the vicinity to moisten things up a bit without any direct intervention to the plants.
Another reason for leaf distortion might be insects - keep a close watch under leaves where the little suckers could be hiding.
Great point, I think you could be right about it being malformed. I'll keep an eye on it though, and I appreciate your input!

Ask a Question