Moved Baby mango tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently moved a small mango tree to another part of my garden. Since moving it, it’s wilting and the leaves are falling off. What can I do to help it? I water it frequently.

Attachments

• ADD29835-043B-4F8E-B9D8-F3994A2F5B2B.jpeg
    ADD29835-043B-4F8E-B9D8-F3994A2F5B2B.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 90
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I recently moved a small mango tree to another part of my garden. Since moving it, it’s wilting and the leaves are falling off. What can I do to help it? I water it frequently.
If you transplanted enough of the root system it should survive. It is in severe transplant shock now. If it were mine I would get some SuperThrive and use as directed. It also appears to be planted too deeply. The root flare must be exposed or the tree will, in the long term, have a shortened life span and will be more susceptible to diseases.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
If you transplanted enough of the root system it should survive. It is in severe transplant shock now. If it were mine I would get some SuperThrive and use as directed. It also appears to be planted too deeply. The root flare must be exposed or the tree will, in the long term, have a shortened life span and will be more susceptible to diseases.
I know I’m hijacking this thread but it looks like the OP is done.

I thought it didn’t matter how deep you planted the trees, provided the graft union is above the ground. Especially if the rootstock is prone to burr knot, as the trunk should form roots easily.

Have I doomed my crabapple by planting it too deep? It’s on MM111 rootstock which is prone to burr knot.

85BC055B-E6F8-4086-9D59-CC711CB374CB.jpeg 690CC799-4177-462F-A0A3-A3DAE767F6D0.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know I’m hijacking this thread but it looks like the OP is done.

I thought it didn’t matter how deep you planted the trees, provided the graft union is above the ground. Especially if the rootstock is prone to burr knot, as the trunk should form roots easily.

Have I doomed my crabapple by planting it too deep? It’s on MM111 rootstock which is prone to burr knot.

View attachment 73671 View attachment 73672
Your tree under normal circumstances is planted too deep but with the susceptibility of burr knot I just don't know. Burr knot isn't something normally found in Texas. In fact I had never heard of it. In doing a little research on burr knot it appears that burr knot itself is about as damaging as being planted too deep. The burrs are usually close to the soil line and are covered in soil to promote root growth so I suppose being planted too deep is not a bad thing. I just don't know.

Ask a Question