Can I transplant an overgrown potted euonymus?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got a wall of euonymus that functions as a border/privacy screen. There's a gap that I'd like to fill with a euonymus, but the tricky part is that this gap is bracketed by trees (hemlocks I think), so I'm pretty sure I won't be able to dig down very far without running into tree roots.

L4Um0eH.jpg

I'm considering a couple of options to fill that gap.

1. I am trying to root a euonymus (snipped the ends of some stems, applied rooting powder and trying to grow these) - if successful, this would be the easiest solution. Transplant a successfully rooted euonymus into that gap and as it grows, the roots will work their way around the hemlocks' roots. Downside is it would take years(?) before the plant reaches the size of the other euonymus in that row.

2. I've got two potted euonymus that have been neglected (these are hardy shrubs in my area) and have long since overgrown their pot - large roots have extended out of the pot. You can see the small black pots; the tops of these plants is ~8ft tall.

RyBjM5A.jpg

Thinking I could cut the roots that extend out of the pot, dig down a few inches in that gap (or as far as I can get without destroying the hemlocks' roots), cut off the bottom of the pot and stick the pot in the shallow hole. And water well. Could that work? If the plant survived, I could eventually cut off the pot sides (I'm thinking keeping it early on will keep the dirt packed in around the roots while the roots hopefully grow into the new soil).

Downside is seems unlikely to succeed. Upside is immediate filling of the gap in the wall/privacy screen.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Take them out of the pot and plant them where you want them. I wouldn't do any root pruning on any plant.

Ask a Question