Are my cucumbers ready to be transplanted outside?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I live in zone 9b, and I planted these cucumber seeds, and I am wondering if they are ready to be transplanted outside?

Attachments

• cuke.jpg
    cuke.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 134
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes. Be exceptionally careful as the tubes and roots are very tender and break easily. Also consider burying at least a half cup of organic tomato fertilizer mixed into the bottom of a deep planting hole and covered with a layer of dirt on the floor of your planting hole. Why tomato fert? calcium content.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@DirtMechanic is basically correct. They can be planted outside now but they should be planted when they have true leaves. The reason being is that the root system is very small and damaging them is very easy and when a baby plant has damaged roots it is susceptible to the many perils of the soil itself and of the outdoors in general. Those plants are leggy. They aren't getting enough light. Just stick the entire pot outside into the sun out of the wind. They will have true leaves within 2 weeks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The cucumbers will be a disaster if planted. There should only be one or two plants in the container. I start about 8 two to a pot a month before putting out. They get about a months start. I never disturb the root system when planting out doors.

22 May 2018 Cucumbers
Posted on May 22, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/May%202018/22%20May%202018%20Cucumbers/HTML/ 22 May 2018 Cucumbers
Six hills of cucumbers were planted.(about ten plants) They are guided by a wire trellis to contain from spreading. Some are used for the fresh table and the remainder are made into juice.They have been growing from seed in the greenhouse for a month to establish strong roots, and give an advanced start on the season.
001_std.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you very much for your replies, I will try to set them outside for about a week , but I will thin them out so that I don't have so any in one pot, I am brand new to this, so all replies are much appreciated..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you very much for your replies, I will try to set them outside for about a week , but I will thin them out so that I don't have so any in one pot, I am brand new to this, so all replies are much appreciated..
Although one can transplant cucs they are normally direct seeded. Your fall/winter climate should be OK for them. What you can do is let them grow at least one set of true leaves, two sets are better, then gently wash away all of the soil from the roots and GENTLY SEPARATE the seedlings and place them into a pre-prepared area in the ground. But the main thing now is to stop them from getting any leggier.

Ask a Question