Can I prune a Weiglea shrub like this??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have 2 different Weigelas planted in my turtle habitat (mostly, to provide shade). They are about 2 and 4 years old. I have been doing a hard winter prune to keep them from getting too large -- they need to serve their purpose as shade for the box turtles, but also there needs to be an aesthetic proportion with the habitat. But not sure I'm doing the right pruning regimen.....

My goal is for them to 1) stay in the 3' x 3' size range, 2) have the lowest branches (from the trunk) be about 12" off the ground, give or take. Basically, like a med-sized shrub.

No idea what species they are, but the earliest one to leaf out has "lipstick red" flowers and leaves that are (to me) an odd shade and mixture of greens. The other one (which is the oldest of the 2) leafs out about 2-4 weeks after the first one. It has dark reddish-green leaves and (I think) pink flowers.

EDIT: 1st plant is Sonic Bloom red / 2nd plant is Wine & Roses

Any suggestion on how to help them achieve this goal would be appreciated.

ANOTHER EDIT: I am going to post this as a separate thread.
https://www.gardening-forums.com/th...raining-a-weigela-for-specific-purpose.12158/

Last edited:

Ask a Question